1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma running in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by quattro, Jul 28, 2004.

1. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've seen a few posts where people have mentioned about running your plasma in and lowering the brightness and colour, and noit using consoles for the first 100-200 hrs.
    I should be recieving my new PW6 next week and would like to know exactly how a plasma should be run in or is this just people opinions? Is there a write up on running a plama in on here? I've done a search but that just threw up most threads but nothing perticular to my question.
    I must admit after reading some posts here with regard to picture quality being poor I'm beginning to think whether i've dont the right thing
    Cheers
    Quattro

ps is there anywhere online i can get a PDF file of the PW6 manual ?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I just ran my screen with lower brightness and contrast settings for a couple of weeks...but I only managed a couple of days before hooking up my XBOX.

I have not had any problems with screenburn or even image retention on my screen. I think that the panny's are a little less susceptible than others...my previous Pioneer 433HDE was much worse with regards to image retention.

The link below should find you the manual.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/drivers/pbts/manuals/OM_TH-6.Series.pdf

Cheers, Lee

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've read two ideas - run at low brightness/contrast/colour or get a DVE DVD and calibrate it properly. I personally ran it very low brightness/contrast for the first day and the picture looked dead. I since ran the DVE disc and on component the settings are still around -1 or -2 nothing drastic. On the Scart input the settings were around zero or plus a couple, I turned this down to negative numbers just in case.

But what are we talking here, drastic reductions for the rest 100 hours, or just not going mad (like the Dynamic mode that sets the contrast to +30 and is rediculously bright!)

4. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well I set mine to -15 on both Contrast and Brightness, and while it looked a little dark in very bright daylight, when I closed the curtains, the picture still looked great,

I watched ALL types of movies (16:9 and letterbox) just alternated them so never watched for longer than 3 hours with the bars (but I avoided 4:3 pictures until after 200 hours ... not sure why to be honest),

Also couldnt resist not playing my XBox on it, but was careful to only play for an hour before returning to a 16:9 movie (or episode of the West Wing)

Have had no problems, and now have used Aria to set my picture up and in my case the settings are still -5 on Contrast and -2 on Brightness , with pretty much everything else at 0,

Corpsical