1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma RGB question ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GJC, May 10, 2003.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    My brother has just brought a lQED lead, which is specifically designed for plasma use. Its a Scart to Svideo rgb lead from http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=QEDAV1120

£42.99

Problem:

THe plasma displays a black & white picture when the VCR is used and when the NTL cable box is used.

The PLasma is set to PAL and Svideo. Plasma model Toshiba 50wp16.

Is there a solution?

Regards,

GJC

ps. http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/SCART_to_BNC_.html

would this lead solve the problem? I think i would need a second dsub to dsub ??to connect from lead to plasm......

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is the NTL cable box set to output S-Video? or RGB? RGB mode won't work with this cable. I'm not sure it even has an option for S-Video, in which case you'll have to use composite video output (PAL) which may work with an s-video cable but you won't get a better picture than composite that way even with this cable. If your plasma doesn't have RGB scart input and you want the best picture quality, you'll need a JS RGB scart to D-Sub (VGA Plasma) or the JS RGB to Componenent, if your plasma doesn't have D-Sub or Component input you could use a RGB to S-Video converter. Do a search on RGB vs Component vs S-Video vs Composite.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    VCR's and cable boxes do not have an S-Video output (unless VCR is S-VHS), therefore if useing an S-Video input on plasma you will get a b&w picture.
    An S-video lead will never give a colour picture with non S-video sources as the S-video din socket on the plasma will be expecting to receive a b&w picture on one pin and the colour on another, but the VCR etc sends both picture & colour on the same pin. The plasma therefore ignores the colour and gives a b&w picture.
    As cybersoga suggest get one of the JS converters from www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk and bin the S-video cable as it is no good to you.

Mark.

4. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the advice guys....

The Scart to Svideo lead allows his Pioneer 717 to send colour signals to the plasma (Svideo input).

We thought that the same process would work to view VCR and / or NTL Cable -

So the lead wont work then? What is the best lead to view the highest quality pic from the sources I have mentioned. At present a second DVD player is using the COmponent input on the plasma. The only other inputs are Dsub and Svideo.

Thanks.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    NTL can be connected useing a scart (outputting RGB) to rgb>VGA adapter from www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk into the D-sub on the plasma.
    VCR's can only go into composite, so use this (standard phono cable).

Mark.

6. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive looked at the site .some questions , will the picture be vastlly improved over component to bnc which i am using.also will the picture be in a reduced size,i have a fujitsu 42" 4229

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    SK,
    what equipment are you connecting with the BNC's and what leads/converter? If it is a DVD then this is the best connection. If it is a cable/satalitte or VCR then you will get an improvement with the JS box.
    No, the RGB>VGA box gives a full screen, high quality picture that is far better then composite or even S-Video.

Mark.

8. MrAnderson69uk

MrAnderson69uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

There are at least two revisions of the NTL Digibox.

There is a Phase 1 which is identifiable by the Slot in the door to the subscription card. The slot was for an interactive card which was never used as far as I know.

The Phase 2 model didn't have this slot in the door.

So what has this to do with RGB vs S-Video ???

...well, the Phase 1 model only supported S-Video and Composite Video via SCART only. It also had RF loop-thru.

The Phase 2 model however, was updated to offer only RGB or Composite Video also via SCART. The RF loop-thru function was removed for cost reasons. A cheap lo-loss passive splitter 2-2150MHz for satellite cabling systems will provide the a feed for distributing the basic terristrial analogue channels (RF) still coming down the cable (in most areas) to and dist. amp and TV's in other rooms.

9. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    As ever very useful advice from the forum!

I know the setup menu has the facility to change an option to RGB.

I just find it ridiculous that to utilise this feature my brother will need to spend in excess of £120 on a lead/converter, that will allow RGB to be fed to his plasma unit.

I wonder if a PCB board with an RGB scart input is on the horizon for such duties?

Kind Regards,

Graham

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

just to redirect from our backup website (the .co.uk) to our main one (the .com)

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com

Any of the products there should be ideal for you. I believe the Toshiba is a clone of the Panasonic screen, so RGB to Plasma VGA would give you the best picture quality and is slightly less expensive than component conversion. S-Video conversion is possiblem, but lets go for the better quality Plasma VGA solution.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.