Plasma returned from Manufacture with defects

seanm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I had my Plasma collected by Toshiba for investigation into an issue where the screen would intermittently not switch on properly.

It was with them for 2 months and they couldn't diagnose the fault as it did not occur in the 8 weeks with them. (sometimes it did not happen to me for 3 months, then again twice in a week)

I agreed to take the unit back in the hope that the problem had simply "gone away"

When the unit was delivered back to me, it was in disgusting condition, grimey, dusty, dirty fingerprints all over the screen and surrounding frame.

I have always looked after my equipment, using expensive non toxic, anti-static, alcahol and ammonia free solutions and microfibre cloths. (it does sit proud in my living room and I want it to look as good as the day I switched it on)

Upon closer inspection, when the grime had been removed, I noticed a small chip on the top of the frame, a scratch on the rear where it sits on the pedastool stand and more concerning what look like scratches on the inside of the glass, on both the left and right sides dead centre.

I called Toshiba, who sent an area technical manager round, to take a look.
He advised that the marks would not devalue the unit for future resale and he would send a letter from Toshiba to this effect. (not my main concern)
He reckoned that the marks on the glass could have been there when I purchased it (no way - it would have gone back). He said there is no way Toshiba could have done this as they did not remove the glass panel (Which I believe as they would only work on the pcb). He also said that they were bubbles (they look like scratches on the inside) and its common ("go to curry's comet etc and see for yourself" - were his words)

I never have the unit running for more than 3 hours at any time and am aware of screen burn issues, so am careful about the usual sky red buttons etc. Could they have been created by having the unit tested by Toshiba for a long time?

I am really p%$sed off, I have really looked after this unit for the past 12 months.

Any suggestions on what I can do or where I stand?

Many Thanks.

Sean

If I were to put this into context, and I was to take my car for its first service and it came back to me with scratches and dents, although the car may drive better, its physical appearance would never be the same. I would expect the dealer to look after the vehicle and return it in the same well kept condition.

I am not 100%, they have told me it is.
I did not make a note of it.

It is not on my reciept. I have to believe that it is.

I should think photographic evidence is the only possibility for confirmation of condition. I'm a careful man, and always photo customer's kit before sending it off. Have you got any decent ones from before sending it in?

just found photo's but nothing close up.

Damn

If I wasn't so particular, it wouldn't bother me, but any marks or blemishes stick out like a sore thumb to me.

This happened to me with a crash helmet 25 years ago, and I still hate them for it. The strap frayed, the fastener fell off. When it came back from 'inspection' some b****d had put a hammer through it, the shop denied all knowlege. They are bankrupt now. Other moral of story, go through your dealer. Then he is liable, and will bust Toshiba's ass on your behalf.

It was the dealer who arranged for Toshiba to collect and return for me.

they get picked up, transported to Leeds then they are reshipped to Surrey.
What was yours in for?

it was making a clicking noice. but so does the loan set, so it must be a feature;) ;)

spoken to toshiba home delivery and it still has not got to the repairs. only been about 7 weeks . so they must be walking there with it on there back.

i will be checking mine fully when its returned or there brand new loan set will be staying here;) ;)

You are lucky,
my loan unit was terrible.
Dirty and scratched. with LOAN UNIT Painted on back

just had a call from them.
As it happens, they did remove the screen behind the glass!

On Thursday they were adamant that they do not remove the panel from the screen so these marks on the inside could not have been caused by Toshiba . Now it seems that they do!

So we'll see what they say.
It was only said on the phone that they did, could they now turnaround and deny this, would they have an engineers log of what was actioned over the two months with them?

With the scratches there it would be hard for them to deny now. You might need to get it inspected. I might know someone, where are you? The mere threat of it might be enough though.

I'm in Worcestershire. quite a distance from your neck of the woods.
BTW Thanks for all your advise MAW.

Toshiba are coming to collect the unit on Friday and taking it back to Surrey for investigation

Seanm, you have my sympathies. I really hope everything works out for you. You must be stewing over this.

gutted.
From what I gather, they'll take it back.
replace the front screen, as its only made out of plastic.
don't know about the front chip on the frame, what can they do?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom