Plasma Resolution (Newbie Question)

RobbieD

Established Member
Reaction score
It will be some time before I can afford a plasma, but have been having a look at some of the models on the market, and notice that many only have a resolution of 852 x 480.

Now forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the UK PAL system has 576 visible horizontal lines. So does that mean that such a plasma display can't display the full PAL resolution?

I think I must be missing something here as I can't believe that people would spend large amounts of money on TV's that have lower resolution than their old sets.

Also I haven't seen any with digital tuners - only analogue. Are there any with digital tuners? (I know you could just use a freeview box.)

I too am new to plasma. I was also thinking about the same question! You gotta remember that Plasmas are Progressive so your actually seeing twice the definition of a CRT on a Plasma! (I could be completely wrong).

No, it's true. These low-res devices will actually degrade a PAL TV signal in order to display it.

Done well, an upscaled picture can actually improve the perceived (but not actual) amount of detail. Upmarket LCD and DLP projectors and external scalers (more typically used with CRT projectors) can and do, do a good job at upscaling.

But with the best will in the world, a downscaled image MUST be less detailed than the source.

The exact reason why I will not buy a low res panel, no matter how good the picture looks. Just think how it would look with a higher res panel (not always the case though)

The fact remains that the vast majority of forum members here have bought low res panels, specifically the Panasonic SD in the main, and are entirely happy with the results. Once again, the mantra must be repeated, go and look at some. Mostly the high res panels have less contrast, which for some people offsets the advantage of higher resolution. IMHO analogue TV looks pants on a plasma, and unless I had a compelling reason, like no freeview reception and a passionate hatred of the Murdoch empire, I would avoid it. I also dislike plasmas with external media boxes, they almost invariably lose something over their equivalent monitor relation, even when running digital on a scart. But that's just me maybe, but I also hate the clunky remote with a ton of toggle functions that seems standard with them. But don't mind me ranting on, you'll get used to me after a while. :D

You will be surprised with the amount of detail on the SD Panasonic, especially when you see the HD Panasonic right next to it. It seems resolution isn't everything unless you are prepared to budget for HCPC or decent scaler etc. If you just want to plug in STB and DVD and go I still can't think of better than a SD Panasonic or Fuji VHA.

Another case for look and see for yourself, don't use specs for anything other than a rough guide...

(Nice rant BTW MAW :laugh: )

Originally posted by Liam @ Prog AV
You will be surprised with the amount of detail on the SD Panasonic, especially when you see the HD Panasonic right next to it. It seems resolution isn't everything unless you are prepared to budget for HCPC or decent scaler etc. If you just want to plug in STB and DVD and go I still can't think of better than a SD Panasonic or Fuji VHA.

Another case for look and see for yourself, don't use specs for anything other than a rough guide...

(Nice rant BTW MAW :laugh: )

Im rather hopeful resolution isnt everything even when you do budget in an expensive scaler! :eek:

ad

buns,

as you know, I was suprised at the difference the HD made even though I have just a SD plasma...

Dpeends on the SD plasmas I guess and the quality of scaling - if you buy an SD plas you then use the external scaler to downscale to meet native res, if you use a HD plas you then upscale the input to meet native res. Either way, you are bypassing the internal scaler and letting the processor do it much better...

I think the thing with HD is that normal TV looks slightly worse on it than a SD and hence adding the scaler to HD makes the changes appear even better than SD...if that makes sense ;)

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom