Plasma replacement - to LED or not to LED

Ibymafayhas

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm currently sitting on a little over 10 year old mid range Plasma TV (50" Samsung C680) and thinking about whether it is worthwhile to upgrade or not with my current usage. Distance to TV is about 2.5 meters with windows to the west (=sun comming in during afternoon and evening).

Usage:
Sports: 70% (Football, Icehockey, Tennis, esport) with only about 5% of broadcasts available in 4k, rest in 1080
News: 10% Watch news for like 20 mins when eating and getting myself ready for work
Movies: 20% (1080 is basically what is offered as streaming in Sweden)
Gaming: Very little and only casual today. Mostly uses PC. If anything, RPG with lots of static HUD's

What I have read is that OLED would be the "natural" replacement comming from Plasma but I'm concerned about the static logo's from ~80% of my viewing so considering going for LED as I would like to keep the TV for a similar length as the current one and I cant imagine an OLED not burning out in 10 years.

As I have understood Sony have best motion handling so I was thinking about the XJ95 but with the disappointing review from Rtings and the high price I'm a bit torn about what to do. Keep the plasma, its not like I think the picture it provides is bad, or go with i.e XH95 which lacks HDMI 2.1 or what other options are there? What size would you consider with 2.5 m viewing distance, 55" or 65"?

go with the XJ95 but see if the price goes down but may not be until new years sales as its a very new TV.
if you can find an XH95 then do buy it though.
Also, the LG C1 seems a reasonable price given its just come out as well.

Last edited:
I can find a 65" XH95 for 1300 EUR right now, which ironically is the lowest since the november sale (Sony had it before Black Friday for whatever reason). The X95J is 2400 EUR (since its just out), which is 500 EUR higher than the introduction price of the XH95. Additionally I wonder how cheap Sony TV's will get, they seems to having much fewer sales and less drop in price than Samsung and LG. Guess it is supply related so nothing with a quick fix.

LG will likely have good deals, a flash sale of 65" B1 for 1400 EUR this week (very few units) and the 65" C1 can be had at the same price in Denmark.

My main concern is still burn in though. Same say Plasma was worse for burn in, some the other way around.

You watch a lot of content with static huds so not sure OLED will be okay for you. If you went for one of the TVs with the new type of panel its more durable, so will last for longer...but I'm not sure its worth the risk considering what you watch.

Having said that, whilst the way Plasma and OLEDs can get burn in is different, usually if someone hasn't got burn on a plasma, they won't on an OLED. The key difference being the effect is cumulative on an OLED, whilst on a Plasma it can be dangerous watching static content for long sessions.

I'd definitely consider the Sony XH95 since its a 2020 model at a discount, its a highly recommended TV (as was the model before it). The OLEDs you're considering may be close in price, but they are not using the new panel technology, so won't be as durable.

Have a think about your usage, if you are watching sports every evening then its going to much more dangerous than if you usually only catch a games 2-3 times a week.

Thanks for the input. Have ordered the 65" XH95 after visiting a store and checked how big it felt in reality, not so huge as I thought so shouldnt be an issue size-wise.so Let's how satisfied I will be (nowhere left to check for last years model) but have only read great reviews from owners so shouldnt be an problem.

give feedback when you get it and let us know

I would think twice about anything Sony due to having the absolutely WORST, user unfriendly menu system out there.
Even simple, common picture adjustments are buiried layers deep.

I would think twice about anything Sony due to having the absolutely WORST, user unfriendly menu system out there.
Which model, I’m not a tinkerer but the XH9505 is very easy to set up, there’s quick access to settings direct from the remote. Certainly no more fiddly than any Samsung, LG or Panasonic that I’ve had

Quite agree with Vickster settings could not be more straightforward on Sony XH9505. However it is a veritable maze on new LG bought for Kitchen.

It's a 60" (I believe) LCD bought last year, I don't know the model number.

Don’t think Sony offer 60” models. The model number will be on the back or in the system info. You can’t really generalise about a whole brand / range on the basis of one unknown model. However, there’s plenty of choice out there so up to you if you don’t want another Sony

I thought that was the case, but I didn't think it was a 65" and it looked larger than a 55".
It's hard to pull the set out of where it is located, he doesn't know the model number.
He even admits it's a terrible menu setup that makes no sense. I told him I would of taken it back in a nano second, but all he cared about was it fitting and no conflicking with the other three sets on his Media Wall. (No, I'm not kidding).

Who’s he?

Just a friend who is kinda excentric. Why?
I just assumed you were the one with the Sony menu issue as no mention otherwise :)

I personally don't rate Android TV at all, its clunky and not straightforward at all. However its nowhere near as bad as it used to be, and it doesn't stop certain Sony models from being excellent.

give feedback when you get it and let us know

OK, was travelling for work last week so received the unit today and spent some (a lot) of time to set things up etc. Quick early summary:

"Normal TV", 720 p and/or low bitrate: Looked quite bad but not what I will spend most of my viewing time on anyway.

1080p Sport: Looks good, especially the colours are so much better. No big if any real improvement to past otherwise I would say.

4k Sport: Holy moly, the picture is simply stunning and you almost want to try and count each grass straw on the field

Twitch stream: Looks fantastic too, 1080p but I think Amazon uses high bitrate for twitch. Has always looked better than "standard" 1080p before as well.

Blueray: Looked at one episode of Band of Brothers and it seems you get extra details on all objects. Once again amazing picture.

Only issue: Sound come and goes using ARC-channel to old reciever (Onkyo 609). Dont know if there is any setting or not I have missed here but got ARC to work first try on reciever which I was most worried about. Feels like audio format is switched back and forth or something. New cables are on the way and will be tried too.

Overall a huge upgrade (in more regards than size) and I'm very happy and hope the TV last for a long time.
Havent really noticed any blooming which you hear so much about so I think I'm happily immune. Brightness is very high compared to a plasma (of course) and standard brightness (35 I think) started to give head ache in complete dark room so will probably have to turn it down for late night movies.

Next up should be to try and get a 4k-able receiver, so hope there is some supply and deals at Black Friday.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom