1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma reliability (PV500?)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dodgyd, Aug 2, 2005.

1. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi all,
    I'm in the market for an HD ready plasma, probably 37". However, I'm apalled at the number of people on here who seem to have reliability issues with various Plasma screens (notably the PV500). Problems ranging from possible screen burn to buzzing/humming/wooshing sounds from speakers to total failure. Other people have been on 2, 3 or more sets before they get a 'good one'.

Even my local dealer advised me against wall mounting a PV500 "in case of problems with cabling". :|

What am I letting myself in for? I just want an easy life! Are they really that bad? Is it still too early for plasmas in the living room?

Thanks,
    Dave.

2. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Panasonic PV500 and had it mounted on the wall using the panasonic wall brackets (bought with the screen). The results are mind-blowing. The picture quality from freeview is as good as playing a dvd. I have had no problems at all - no pic trouble or no noises!!. I am extremely happy with the plasma and would higly recommend it without a single shadow of doubt.

What is the problem with cabling when wall mounting??? I had no such problems. In fact all my cables (HDMi, component, scart, phono leads, ariel lead, power cable) all run nicely behind the 3/4inch gap behind the plasterboard.

3. minisisme

minisisme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a PV500 37" now for about a month and I can't tear myself away from it. As Hiran says the picture is very clear and sharp the freeview tuner is excellent, as long as you've got a good aerial. There's plenty of connections at rear to accomodate just about anything. Only disadvantage was I had to buy a new comfy sofa to watch it from. Go for it! :smashin: :)

4. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiran,
    How do you plug/unplug your computer into the panel then?

5. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,338
    Only had mine since Thursday, I've noticed none of the problems other people have been having with it.

Maybe you're seeing a lot of people mentioning problems with it, is because it's arguably one of the most popular plasmas about at the moment?

6. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've had mine for 4 weeks with none of the problems mentioned in these forums. Geoff. :thumbsup:

7. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same here ive had mine a month now and no probs, go for it mate. :thumbsup:

8. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with all the above - Have had the 37" for about two weeks - still amazed every time I turn it on!

I sometimes think about 'looking' for the problems mentioned here such as buzzing, contrast changes, different contrast lines across screen quadrants, etc....but then think that ignorance is bliss. I have not noticed ANY of those problems. Perhaps if I really looked I might find them - but as long as it is not bothering me, I'd like to not look for them.

I have an amplified loft aerial connected by CT125 digital coax and the off air picture quality is superb.

Finally, for cabling, I have it wall mounted and perhaps would have preferred a Pioneer type of connection box. However, I have the cables pre-wired before mounting the screen. Therefore there is a 3m D-SUB cable already plugged in that I can use for laptop connectivity.

....another happy owner (well, so far! :) )