1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma recommendations required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ma9evp, Nov 11, 2003.

1. ma9evp

ma9evp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi members,

I have a £3,000 budget to buy the perfect 42" plasma for my living room. I have been searching the market for a couple of months and I am yet to decide on which plasma screen to buy.
    I'm only going to use it to play DVDs and occasionally watch the odd football match on television.
    I've been examining a few plasma's in the high streets (Hitachi and Philips models) and most of the screens I've been dissapointed with. Particularly on the larger 42" screens as the noise in the picture appears obvious during action sequences and skin tones appear 'dotty'.
    Is this true of all plasmas or have I led a sheltered life?

I have heard good things about the Panasonic PW6 model but I would like confirmation from knowledgable people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Well you have come to the right forum but i certainly do not claim to be one of the more knowlegable of plasma owners.
    I own a Hitachi 42inch display and it's fantastic, the picture i have is vastly superior to that of the same plasma sitting in Currys. The reason for that is mine is configured correctly(to my eyes anyway) with the relevant high quality interconnects in the correct inputs etc. Do not judge anything in the world of plasma displays especially if your going into stores like Currys/Comet etc.
    You simply must demo a few displays in a dedicated AV shop, the Panny 6 is a favourite of this forum so is the Hitachi.

3. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I concur with the previous reply, to view a properly set up plasma is convincing to say the least. I have been into Home Cinema for the last 14 years (!!! see my other threads for plasma info) I am a big fan of RPTV's & the like, but having recently purchased a Panasonic 6 series plasma, I have to say that when run in and properly configured with a decent high end DVD player, it is amazing. The panasonics have it for me, just be prepared to tweak & spend on extra's & you will have one amazing panel.

4. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd go with that. I've had my Panny 6 for a few days now and the picture quality can, at times, be stunning. I say 'at times' because the signal quality/compression issues discussed in other threads here means that certain channels are a bit grainy, but others are perfect and thats only with a cheap scart lead. I'm still experimenting with various cable/connection options but the pq from the dvd player is stunning (Harman Kardon DV25 through syncblaster). I agree with fuzzybee & AndyGo, take time to see the display 'properly' demo'ed and look at all the connection options and you won't be dissapointed (in my opinion).