1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma recomendations with HCPC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rob, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Folks,

Can anybody recommend a plasma that is suitable for PC use as well as the usual freeview/dvd player? I guess ideally I'm looking for one with DVI in. I don't want to go too mad as I'll hopefully have a cinema room up and running again in a few months time, and as most of my stuff is on hard-disc I'd like to be able to watch it.

I've seen the Pioneer 434, but don't want to spend quite that much. At the moment, The Hitachi PD5200 seems like it fits the bill, although I haven't had a chance to see one yet. Are there any others to consider??

Cheers Rob.

2. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

I too am looking for a Plasma that will be a good partner to a HCPC, and I have the following considerations:

1. Price - can't forget about this :)
    2. Picture quality is the most important (non-price) aspect.
    3. Aspect ratio of the pixels (computers expect the pixels to be square - whereas most 42HD plasma have rectangular pixels)
    4. If you aren't using your plasma as a computer display (i.e. only displaying video sources), using a good media player with control over aspect ratio - makes point 3 above redundent
    5. Good PC-friendly connections: VGA or RGBHV, or maybe digital (DVI or HDMI)
    6. The ability to send the plasma a picture in its native pixel resolution (i.e. any scaling is done in the PC) - this kinda rules out the Pio434
    7. The ability to send the plasma resolutions at a multiple of the source refresh rate (for PAL: 25/50/75Hz, etc.)

All my lurking/fact-finding has convinced me that:
    *ALiS is fine for video, but not so good for a HCPC display
    *The pioneer 434/504 doesn't seem to like native-res over its (much-vaunted) HDMI input. And I'm not keen on its black levels anyway
    *The fuji's are very nice, but too $$$
    *The ED displays are too limited in resolution for my purposes

So now I'm trying to decide between the 42HD or the 50HD panasonic.

Any other pointers/suggestions welcome.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All hi res 42's are rectangular pixel, 50's are mostly sq. Pioneer are slightly unsquare, not so you'd notice. My fav. would be Panny/ Fujitsu

4. jeebas

jeebas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my Hitachi 42PD5200 on Friday and have now got it hooked up to all my AV equipment including my PC (ATI Radeon 9600 DVI-D) and I'm very impressed with the results. The good thing about the 5200 is the AV options you have with it (1 x RGB Scart, 1 x Composite/S-Video, 2 x Component RCA, 1 x Tuner, 1 x D-Sub & 1 x DVI-D (DVI-PC/DVI-STB) (Anyone any idea of what that DVI-STB is for? I can't find anything outside the manual on it and that isn't much).

Sound & Vision is where I got mines for £2368.43

I recommend it as a good solution to Home Cinema & PC requirements!

C

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I would say that the 50" panny or Fujitsu would be top of my list...if I didn't allready own the panny.

Have only tried my HTPC on it for a short while but it worked well and the panny seems less prone to screenburn than my old Pioneer which would show image retention after onoly a few minutes which allthough only temporary left me feeling a tad alarmed.

BTW my guess is that DVI-STB simply stands for DVI set top box.

Cheers, Lee

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    jeebas,

What have you been running through the PC? Im interested in how PC based video looks on the Hitachi, taking into account the Alis system it uses.

The Panny seems to be favoured by many. This could well be the one to go for. Trying to get a decent demo is hard work, so its good to get some advice and draw up a shortlist.

Thanks for the advice.

Rob.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Rob,

The new Pioneer 43MXE1 or 50MXE1 would be excellent with an HCPC.

Steve

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rob, note that Dutch is recommending the MX versions, NEVER the HDE pioneer. For HCPC use you'd regret the HDE for more reasons than I have time to list.

9. jeebas

jeebas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

I am using Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 just now and will be installing Linux soon too, all using the 5200 through a DVI-D cable. I am going to try it with the D-sub at some point too. There is also the 2 audio in sockets to get your PC sound through the plasma speakers. I have that for general stuff as well as Dolby Digital 6.1 from my sound card into my receiver.

I am a computer programmer/web developer and working from home just now, so it is fairly getting put through some quick refreshing etc. I've not tried out any movies on the PC/Plasma yet that would stress it too much, but good results from what I've done so far. When using the DVI terminal, you can set the frequency mode to PC or Movie, which helps when playing movies. I am going to try out a couple of games on it when I have time too. I have LOTR game here, that should be fun.

The other good thing is that if you get the Hitachi models in time, you get a free portable DVD player & 7" LCD screen. :thumbsup:

loonatic, in a perfect world I would have probably gone with a 50" Fujitsu but I only had so much money to spend on the plasma and going over that budget would have prevented my from getting the finishing touches to it all... LA-Z-BOY :boring: :smashin:

I don't think DVI-STB does stand for DVI set top box. The 42" Hitachi that comes with the set top box is the 5300 (set top box from previous plasma range, not the new OSD of the 5200) and it is something that I can select now, but I don't have anything compatible with it. (it is also mentioned a couple of times in the manual, but no detailed info on it). The options for the OSD settings are DVI-PC or DVI-STB and the only detail on it is "This should correspond to the signal mode of the signal from the equipment that is connected to RGB1 DVI terminal." The options for all AVs and RGB2 (D-sub) terminals on this setting include things like RGB, Component, HDTV, S. Video & Composite so it would indicate that it is a type of signal.

Oh well, I'm happy just now. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. :)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    DVI-STB is probs for HDTV set top box. Big problem with Hitachi, you cannot get the 'nirvana' of HCPC, 1:1 pixel mapping. From a PC the Hitachi does not accept native resolution.
    PS why would a movie stress your setup too much?

11. jeebas

jeebas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A movie could stress the refresh rate of the plasma when played through Windows. Basically in the same way that a laptop TFT screen gets pixelated when it struggles to keep up with it.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't think so. Refresh rate is fixed by the video card, if it's accptable to the plasma with a fixed image, it will work with a movie. There are other issues, due to incomatibility between video frame rate and display refresh rate, that can cause tearing, but do not 'stress' the display, just look awful. hundreds of folks here do this every day, it makes no difference if the display is old or new either. LCD image lag or 'smearing' is something else, and is caused by slow response time not refresh rates.

13. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the help guys.

Looks like I may have to take the PC round a few sheds to get an Idea of how things will look. I guess at the end of it all, we all have different ideas about whats good, and not so good.

Certainly apprecieate the input.

Rob.