1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma recess in wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BIGMAX, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello all,

I have built a plasterboard wall attached to the original brick wall with wooden battens. My plasma has been recessed into this new wall using a standard bracket. However there has been a batten fitted just above the screen running across horizontally which has effectively closed in the back of the screen about 3-4 inches clearance from the top of the tv to the wood). The builder is putting a vent under the screen but I think I am going to have to cut gaps in the wood above the tv to create more air flow.

Once I have created a bit more space this way - would this be sufficient ? or will the batten have to come out and maybe fitted vertically ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello BIGMAX, next weekend i am doing what you have just done, and will try to provide as much airflow as possible in the desighn before the screen gos up.if i was you i would read the safety manual on the screen to make shaw there is a safety cutoff switch if the screen overheats and then just fit it and see how it gos.the screen should have small fans in the back that when running force the air out of the space that is there and out of the vent your builder is fitting.i don't know the regs for this sort of thing but at the end of the day if it dos get to hot it will just cut out and you will know there is not enough space.
    sorry i cant help any more than that but like most people on this forum i am still learning. :thumbsup:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've done this a fair few times now. I'd run a carpenters bit into the batten, as big as it will take structurally, maybe 10 25mm holes above the screen should do it. More air is good, but a lot of the heat is radiated from the glass, it's not a massive problem.

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers the Klang and MAW,

Its a pio 435XDE (don't laugh MAW - I love it) and I can't remember reading about a cut off switch but I guess it must have one. I will try to avoid getting the thing too hot but at least it should not explode. MAW - my builder did actually suggest Drilling a few 22mm holes through the battening so I will get him to do this and hopefully this will be ok. It's got to be worth it cos I think it looks wicked just having the frame visible.

Thank you both for putting my mind at rest.
    BM

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There's one I had a hand in in 'get yer plasmas out', a PHD7. The owner had his builders do the wall bit, cut the hole etc, we mounted it on a unicol single swing out arm so he could get to it for service/playing with connections. It hinges back till the bezel is up against the wall. He has Sonance in wall speakers at the front, looks very neat indeed. The unicol mount also enabled easy mounting, wall mounts all involve the plasma dropping down an inch or so when hooked on, and this distance would have made all the tolerances impossibly tight to work to, to avoid the hole showing above the top of the bezel. You'll find the piccies cos it's an olde worlde place, black beams in the ceiling, PHD7 panny and in wall speakers.

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    mmmmmmmmmm

That swing out arm is a good idea to be able to get at the thing but I've already hung it on a standard bracket and got the wall all set up. I think using the swing out would probably mean the wall coming out a bit further than I have with the flush mount and to be honest my room isn't that big so I needed the wall to only come out a couple of inches. If I need to get the plasma off - it is fairly straight forward - getting it back on is apparently tricky. But possible. When I post my finished pics please tell me it was worth it !!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Max, it will be stunning I'm sure. Whilst I take the p... out of 435's for analogue PQ, they are without doubt the coolest plasma on the market, and installed like that can only improve it.