1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Radiation Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kevH, Nov 8, 2004.

1. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Strange one this !!!

Purchased a Samsung PS42 V4 and more than happy with its performance apart from the fact my Bang & Olufsen light dimmers and Overture CD player dont work remotely !!!
    Im told this is due to Plasma "Radiation or Interference or EMI" or whatever it is !!
    On contacting Bang Olufsen they said the Light dimmers needed an upgraded PCB which is Plasma friendly and fitted as STD on all new dimmers so i just bought a new one guess what ? no difference !!!!!

On switching off the plasma everything works perfectly.

Has anyone here any experience of this and more importantly any suggestions/remedies for this i could try, im being told its the level of radiation noise from plasma tv's

Can anyone explain this better to me as , as you can imagine both Samsung and Bang & Olufsen are keeping me at arms length and hoping i go away quietly !!!! :(

:lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well B&O use IrDA codes (beo4 remote...) this can cause isues with their own plasmas which they have had to overcome... perhaps the samsung outputs more radiation at their frequncy than the panny glassed screens they use........moving the overture to the same wall as plasma is one option. Have you asked them if they would credit your sammy against a Beovision 4???

3. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi horny
    Not so bothered about the CD as thats 999/1000 operated by other link items ie Avant Tv and Beolab 3500's and Mx tvs all in the link.
    Its the small thing like not being able to dim / switch on /switch off lights while the Plasma in on , small i know but its those things that bug the bo**ox of you especially when everything was a ok prior to plasma installation.
    As for moving to the same wall i hear what u say but its all linked thro walls etc etc with beolink and would be a nightmare to move now ( was all routed by B&O at first fix)
    Just a shame that they arent compatible and that no matter what it always seems to happen to me (anyone else get those feelings LOL )
    Just be nice if there was a solution

kev

ps horny credit !! off B&O !!! your obviously on some strange form of herbs LOL

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&O UK are very helpful in thses matter where abouts are you as dealer differ in ability an knowledge........ you could be really cheeeky and buy a B-sys4 and hook that up to the link (why buy a samsung screen if you have a B&O link house?????) there are other options but would need to be "on-site" really

5. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think they are talking about infra-red radiation - plasmas produce loads of it and it can drown out some less powerful I/R remote controllers and/or overwhelm I/R sensors...

I have all my new kit in a rack, controlled by a single universal remote, and have just added a 5 year old CD player to the collection - and guess which one doesn't work when the plasma's on ...

6. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    HORNY
    The rest of the house is B&O linked but we just wanted a home theatre system in one room and wanted a change . B&O is great and all rooms linked give real ease of use with all sources ie dvd cd video an tv but we just wanted a stand alone system plasma based so we went samsung and jamo route and well pleased and to be honest we wanted to trial plasma before forking out the thousands and thousands for B&O plasma and as the technology is advancing so fast of late those who bought the earlt plasmas from B&O are well superceded now and also the fact the b7 is due early next year and wanted to trial that too.
    So we decided to leave the B&O as is and just move the Avant, around which the system is based, (for now) to another room. fairly easy move even for my capabilities just those darned lights is bugging the ass off the missus and as you well know if she who has to be obeyed is upset the whole world is in chaos !!!!!! LOL

Its getting to the stage where my life maybe in danger !!!!

PS went to my B&O dealer in harrogate at the weekend explained everything and bought the new dimmer phoned him as soon as we realised it didnt work to be told ah well box it back up we'll refund you !! doesnt really help that really !!

7. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    just a thought i wonder if an "all in one remote" would work the samsung sky+ light dimmers and jamo ??
    you see any probs in that ???????
    As i bought an all in one 8 ( the blue lit up one) and havent tried that yet hmmmmm

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no all in ones can do B&O except one and that requires sending yor Beo4 to canada........ there are solutions mate Swap LC2 for a varilight or lutron telume unit

9. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    cheers horny
    any preferences you got ??
    have just 2 lamps i want to control both at the mo rigged to a lc2
    could use the LC2 elsewhere in the house
    so just one unit reqd for the lamps, you have any thoughts ??
    cheers kev

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i like varilight dimmers my self about £25 from www.tlc-direct.co.uk range of finishes (wall switch) or for standard lamps dunno really.........

You may find solice over at the www.beoworld.com forum but far less busy than here and i dont go there much....;)

11. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i frequent beoworld its a good site but its like that saloon you always see in westerns you know the one where theres only ever three people in it at a time LOL

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just a thought, do B&O have IR in on a jack plug? How does the link work, after all? If so, it will almost certainly work with IR out from many devices, like a Pronto RF extender. Many workarounds spring to mind from there.

13. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    the link works as a hard wired link with a master ie the Avant Tv linked to all other items ie driven speakers with ir control other tv's receiving the source from the master and audio equipment cd players linked too so in essence you point the remote (Beo4) at any item and receive whatever source you wish to see / hear .
    for instance if you want to listen to a cd in the bedroom you fire up the cd thro the tv in the bedroom an hey presto likewise watching a video thats in the tv downstairs you can control from up stairs.
    Even the B&O phones have remote facility to turn volume levels etc down when on the phone thro the phone handset altho limited remote function.
    its a good system an very reliable altho the bugga dont turn lights off an on now with a bleeding plasma LOL

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    MAW B&O link is a prorietry link over IrDA that prontos have issues with and there arent any mini Jacks for IR except STB control on the TV's

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You know you can work a Pace NTL box with pronto with an extender/IR reciever? Hard plugged into IR blaster socket. I wondered if the B&O might do the same. Same problem, and there must be a limited number of IRDA codesets. And B&O is just a collection of other people's electronics put together properly in a funky case.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think you can with a B&O STB output but there are only IR out Jaks for STB control not for System control............