1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma queries specific to PC use

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by freshcut, Sep 21, 2005.

1. freshcut

freshcut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I'm currently in the market for a 37-42" flat screen primarily using a media center pc as input but also an xbox360 when the time comes. The PC will be heavily used for internet and games aswell as TV watching through winMCE and I was just wondering about issues such as text readability and burn-in with regards to plasma screens. I've seen some LCD's with PC feeds and the text is fairly clear. how does plasma compare? also things like 42" plasmas tend to have a 1024x768 resolution which is definitely not 16:9 according to windows.. how is this issue resolved, (I've seen the 50" plasmas tend to use a 16:9 pixel ratio (1366x768?))

thanks for any information you can give me. It's a lot of money, I want to get it right and everyone here seems very knowledgable :)

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Plasmas get away with 1024x768 resolution by having non square pixles.
    imo pc's on plasmas are just as good to my eyes.
    Which plasma? im going for the panasonic phd8, but there is talk that it might not do native resolution through digital connection.
    We may find out soon though, a forum member piers has just received a 42" phd8 and will be testing it to see if native is possible.
    Keep an eye on this thread- LINK

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
  4. freshcut

freshcut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I'll be honest I fell in love with the 50" pv500 when I saw it playing high def footage in the panasonic shop so I'd love to say I'd be getting that one but the price is just too high for 8" more screen. so I was considering the 42 until I saw the res was 1024x768. I see from the pictures the display is still sharp but the aspect ratio would really annoy me, I'm a graphic artist and web designer and of course the plasma/mcpc would never be my first display but it'd still be quite cool to sit back and if I think of something switch out fire up whatever app and get to work. Is there any other screens at 42" that have a pixel ratio closer to the 16:9 of the screen? I've seen a 1024x720 ratio but that's still not quite square pixels. I was pretty set on 1366x768 to be honest, any plasmas hit that magic res lower than 50". If not I have a feeling it might have to be LCD for me.

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    If you want the correct aspect on a 42" you set it to 4:3 mode, but then you lose the sides, you can't have it all.

6. nvfx-dragon

nvfx-dragon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is 1024x768 only resolution tht sharpe or is 1280x1024 or higher available?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You want to run the PC at the exact res of the plasma. The plasma is 1024x768 therefore end 1024x768. If you send higher, the plasma must process down to 1024x768 again which would actually introduce noise into the image.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    42PHD8 does native res via DVI. But only at 60Hz (which can mean some FRC judder from 50Hz based movies).

9. Fossil

Fossil
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mal, what program is that you are using on the right of the screen, if you don't mind me asking and what does it do?

Thanks

10. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ATI specific graphics driver configuration options by the looks of it. They 'plugin' to the normal Advanced Settings options in Windows' Display Properties to allow configuration of a graphics card's features. nVidia have something similar as I'm sure other makes do.