1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma PW7B vs Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aetbaar, Nov 30, 2004.

1. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the forums and have some questions- I have done a search but cant get the exact answere

I basically have
    1. sky
    2. dvd
    3. terrestial TV via aerial

I am thinking of
    1. Viera
    2. PW7B

I understand the only advantage with the Viera is the speakers (pointless if you have a surround system anyway), integrated tuner (unecessary as if you use sky and you can get a freeview box anyway which is the same as having integrated tuner)

Are there any other advantages of the viera and having integrated tuner

what connections do I need on my plasma- will scart suffice for dvd and sky and can you get an aerial input so you can watch normal TV

what is an HDI board and do i need composite, s video etc

can anyone explain simply what inputs a plasma should have for future proofing?

what comes as standard with the pw7 and viera and what do i need in addition?

2. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Get the PW7.

I need say no more.

Viera = stylised crap. Though it would seem some people here like them. The speakers are pretty rubbish and the tuner is hardly any use with a sky digital box.

The PW7 with a scart board is pretty much all you need and a quintrix scart box.

The PW7 is great quality especially for the money. A surround speaker system will do for the audio and your sky box will do with the TV signal.

3. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so I dont need to get a composite board either?

can you get speakers as a separate add on from where I buy it from- if so which do you recommend?

where is the best place to get the quintrix?

4. Srbster

Srbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a PW7 - fantastic piece of kit. You'll get a Scart board with it anyway (or at least should do). I think the one scart socket is enough to get you started - Plasma - sky box - dvd

Speaker set up can go through the sky box and dvd player. I opted for the Sony HTDDW760 - £209 from Pixmania.

Out of interest mcav, the quintrix box is just a switcher isn't it?

5. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes I don't think the quintrix does anything other than switching. but it means you can take one RGB scart port and turn it into 5 with no signal loss. It also has audio ports as well. Seems like an excellent piece of kit.

6. Srbster

Srbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A possible word of warning re: the Quintro...

I recently bought one from QED for use with my 42" stylised crap and I discovered that widescreen switching didn't work. I spoke to a guy at the manufacturers, B-Tech, who said that it was a known issue with a number of Panasonic TVs. I had to return it and go back to using my old SCART data switch from www.lektropacks.co.uk.

8. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that so basically the quintrix boxs means i connect it to the plasma via 1 scart and from the quintrix box i can connect my dvd, video etc
    does teh bix have s video and composite leads?

so i only have 1 lead coming out of my plasma...

how many scarts does the box have?
    anyone know about this reported problem with the box?

9. steveho

steveho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    42 inch viera for me ,works straight out of the box with no hassle,it's got the lot.

Looks absolutely awesome on the pedastal stand

steve

10. xbiggy

xbiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got to agree well chuffed with my 42" viera...but hey freedom of choice is down to the individual.

11. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    A Vierra may well work straigh out the box, but so does a PW7.

As for auto ratio selection - according to what I have read - that's a problem with the vierra and not the box itself.

Apparently it works with the PW series. Just not the Vierra - but then the Vierra is a TV while the PW7 is a monitor really.

"Stylised piece of crap" is a strong term for it (albeit my term) But really - it is style oversubstance.

12. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If you want to be able to watch sky's HD service in the future then the vierra is a non starter as it doesn't support 720P

13. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How difficult is it to set up a PW7?

I assume once its all set up, then it's just the on/off button.

Would the PHD7 be a better buy over the PW7?

14. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PW7 is dead easy to set up. I got mine yesterday from AV-sales with an s-video an d a BNC component board. I just inserted the 2 boards as per the instructions which took about 2 minutes. I then just pluggined in the s-video and component leads from the amp and can select which input I want to use from the remote or the unit itself. When not in use I just press standby on the remote, it's that simple. The picture quality of the pw7 is amazing straight out of the box, better than any I have seen setup in a retailer and better than my Philips CRT screen. I am truly amazed at the PQ and ease of use from the PW7 and would recommend it to anyone. Also, it was so easy to order from AV-sales and delivery took only 2 days :thumbsup:

15. Crazer

Crazer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am also thinking of buying either the PW7 or the PHD7. This is what I would be very grateful to know: I have just got a Denon 2910 dvd and want to connect through either DVI or HDMI. I will be using the screen for overwhelmingly DVD use and X Box (90% of the time) and sometimes TV (just a normal signal - which is incidently rubbish in my area). If I set my DVD to Play at 720p will I get a better picture on one or the other.

16. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well my viera is top notch got all the connections you ever need ,looks fantastic ,comes on a stand,has shelves for my other stuff .if i was to buy again then it would defintly be a panasonic what ever the model.
    Well happy

17. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have a 50PHD7 and a Denon 2910, i cannot at the moment get the plasma to recognise any 50Hz signals other than 576P via DVI.

if you want to use the 2910s upscaling you might want to investigate one of the Pioneers, they do support 720P/1080i (50) via HDMI.

Hopefully in the future the Panasonic HDMI card will work at 50Hz, but at the moment I wouldn't recommend the HD7s if you want to use DVI / HDMI.

:edit to add: if you're playing R1 discs then the upscaling will be at 60Hz and will be recognised by the DVI board.

18. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the viera you get the following outputs

AV1 (rear): AV In, TV out, RGB In
    AV2 (rear): AV In/Out, S-Video In, Q-Link
    AV3 (front): RCA / S terminal / RCA phono type connectors
    AV4 (rear): AV In/Out, S-Video/RGB In, Q-Link
    AV4C: RCA phono type x 3 (rear)
    Headphone jack
    SD Memory Card Slot
    PCMCIA Card Slot

on the PW7 you get nothing- what do i need for sky, dvd, video etc on the pw7 to get it up the viera spec- do i just get a composite and 2 scart boards?

also what is HDMI and do i need one of these boards too?

19. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Get a PW7 with a scart board. Plug Sky into PW7 (RGB), Plug DVD into Sky.
    Sorted.
    If your DVD has component outputs it's well worth getting a component board as well. Then plug Sky into Scart and DVD into component. Sorted.. again!!
    :)
    You don't need an HDMI board unless you have a bit of kit with an HDMI output and anyway the HDMI boards are not available yet!!

20. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to replace your existing tv like for like viera :thumbsdow

If you fancy going down the right road via seperates as most do.........PW7 panel with out a doubt :thumbsup: any day. :D

By the way did I mention ........PW7 PW7 PW7 :laugh:

21. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I cant believe your giving the viera the thumbs down,its a fantastic screen ,but has all those extra bits with it.
    Making it a tv.
    If it just about cost then fair enough ,but dont slaight it for being a tv,its nothing like anything else out there.

22. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I reckon it's "horses for courses" the Viera is a fully functioning TV that will suit many people as a direct replacement for their TV, where as the PW7 needs a little more thinking about initialy to ensure you have all the connections you will need now and in the future.

I got my PW7 last week and installed myself (I am not a pro, I have basic DIY skills) I am amazed at the PQ and would not hesitate in recommending this panel to anyone! novice or expert alike. :smashin:

I'm sure whichever people get they will love it!

23. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    just to confirm this, you're all saying that they are basically the same. just one has the customisabilty and can be made to suit the user AND is future proof in respects to HDTV? whereas the other is locked to AV1 - AV4 and is not able to handle HD?

also, is the picture quality the same? i mean looking at the 42" VIERA the picture looks great, i haven't been able to see a 42" PW7 screen in the flesh. is it as good as or better or the same? thats the worry.

lastly, what of this Panasonic TH-42PWD7BS
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7bs.html

it looks like a PW7, but is it even better?!?!? its cheaper too?!

i don't know, sorry to hijack, but wanna decide in time for xmas wat one to get!

thanks!

J

24. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes but is the picture better on the pw7 or the viera.I bet they are just the same

25. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do you find the sony speaker setup as I am thinking of buying the same system?

26. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well I demoed both screens next to each other yesterday using the same dvd player and disc. The Viera won it for me with better colours and a sharper focus. The PW7 seemed a bit brighter but also softer with less detail. I played with the settings on both screens and still returned to this conclusion. The Viera seems to be an improvement to my eyes and its blacks were far better than the PW7.