1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Purchase. Need a push

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gadgetman, Aug 31, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay need to make a decision by tomorow.
    Can get a Pioneer 434hde all in for £3000 but I still have picture quality through sky query. Will I be happy with it? Read lots of opinions about it which almost put me off it. The extra resolution in comparison to the Panasonic is a plus point.
    Or do I jump for the panasonic PW6 use the Av sales deal and go for the extras and save a bit of money. I have seen both working and would be quite happy with either. But I need a push if I dont make my decision then I lose the chance of the Pioneer at £3000 and wait until the Pioneer 435 and the Panasonic 7 series and whatever joys that holds. Or maybe even the Panasonic TH-42PHD6.
    HELP my brain is hurting.

2. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Is there an AV sales deal on the Panny now?
    Last time I checked their 'deal' was approx £200 more than many other places am I missing something?

Sorry can't help you with the Pioneer issue, if you have 3k why not go for the Panny TV 42PA20 I think as opposed to the monitor. It was not long ago that a number of editorial reviews called it the best plasma ever made. I think it will set you back about £2,700 street price.

It looks superb, if I had the room for it, I would probably go crazy and go for it breaking the bank, but alass it's to big width wise for me to fit it in.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3653

It's basically the panny everyone on here raves about but with everything already already installed, tuner, etc. Or at 3k you could start looking at the Phillips boxes with pixel plus which are also meant to be awesome. Bah sorry not helping just giving you more options , sorry .

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I agree Simon
    there are at least 6 places selling the Silver PW6 £200 cheaper than AV-Sales
    and the Charcoal PW6 is £40 cheaper almost everywhere.

4. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    I didn't actually notice they were doing the charcoal at sensible money, still don't know why they are 10% more expensive than everyone else on the silver.

To me the charcoal on the av site looks more like sort of bronze, charcoal to me means a soret of mild black, grey really.

Maybe it's just the pic , don't fancy a bronze coloured plasma either black or silver please.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Simon H, the reviewers must have been blind, or failed to find the 'on' button. As for the philips, you must be joking surely.

6. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    BTW PJ, when are you thinking of buying? I have to buy within the next 22 days or so, perhaps we could team up for some additional discount?

7. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Yikes, by that I take it your not a fan of the Panny, surely not , somebody on the AV forum who doesn't think the panny rules. Isn't that actually sacriledge on here? Burn him - Burn Him :)

Re the phillips, no just reading the reviews.. Supposedly this great pic quality, but all I know is what I read in mag reviews, I've not seen any of them head to head.

8. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought £3000 for the Puioneer was good price. A good screen surely does not go bad over night just others catch up and get better. Just need a push one way or other. A conclusive winner in the argument for one or the other. I need inspirationor a miracle.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm waiting for me Nationwide credit card to arrive so I can have the 1 year extra warrenty they give if you use it to buy a plasma TV. (and 6 months interest free credit)

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gadgetman - if you're happy with the pic quality of either the PW6 or the Pioneer then (if I were you) I'd go for the PW6. OK - it doesn't have HDMI (for a suitabley endowed DVD player) - but if you can't tell the difference between a HD panel and an SD one then why pay for it? Plus - the PW6 is able to take higher definition pictures and scale them down accordingly - so if in 2 years time you want to sign up for Skys HD service the PW6 will still do the job!

So - put the extra £700 in the bank, buy the PW6, use it for 5 years or so, sell it for £500, and you'll be (probably) have more than 50% of the money of whatever HD panels are selling then! (figures are purely for example - I'm assuming plasma/LCD technology will get cheaper over the next 5 years!)

ZedZed

11. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Good point re the overnight issue , IMO we all get caught up in the absolutely latest model when quite often old models that have dropped in price are still better quality that some of the newer more expensive ones.

Is there such a thing as plasma therapy clinics? I think I need to attend, my head actually hurts.

12. Babul4u

Babul4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gadgetman - I'm looking to buy the Pio 434, cheapest price seems to be £3150 just for the Plasma. Where can you get a deal for £3000? I'm happy to join up to get additional discount if poss.