1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma purchase help, question with a difference

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oid, May 11, 2004.

1. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Being new to plasma technology, I'm currently researching a new purchase, was hoping people could help with advice.

My buying situation has somewhat different priorities compared to most people I think. Whilst I am currently in the UK, and looking to but a TV (current one went pop), in around 2 to 4 years I'll be moving abroad... except I don't know where yet :) It may be the US, Canada, or even Australia/NZ...

Whilst relocating with a CRT is a non-starter, I was wondering if I would be able to take a plasma abroad without too many problems? Being a plasma newbie I don't know the details yet, but the issues I assume boils down:

1. If the TV supports multivoltage, i.e. 100->240, else I'll have to buy an expensive voltage converter boxes which I don't like... Of course this only applies to US/Canada, Australia has 240 like us.

2. Whether the TV can work with different signal types. With a lot of them being VGA I though I'd be onto a winner here? Where ever I go I'll probably get cable TV of description, so I'd just need to convert the TV signal (ntsc, various versions of pal, etc) into VGA? Or is it simplier than this?

I'm only just starting to look these issues, but advice is most welcome. Of course I could just buy a cheapish CRT and dump it when I move abroad. But if I can get a nice plasma which I can take with me, then I'd rather do that than waste money on a CRT... Plus I'd get to enjoy the large plasma screen in the meantime.

Cheers
    Oid

2. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My honest opinion is just to sell your current plasma when you are ready to move and buy a new one wherever you go. It will be expensive to ship no matter what because of weight (a plasma is likely to weigh much more than a CRT, by the way), and they are very delecate so you run the risk of a dead plasma upon arrival. On top of that, you are correct in assuming it will not be compatible with local power sources. A/V inputs should still be the same, however.

3. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help.

Just browsing a few websites... Whilst the panasonic and pioneer screens for example are 240v only for example, I've already found a couple of manufacturers, e.g. JVC, that claim to have plasma's that do 110->240v... Just reading more now...

Shipping isn't a problem, since the screen will be only one of a household of goods I'll be shipping, i.e. I won't be shipping just the TV. Plus the TV will be fully insured, so if it breaks, then I'll get my money back.

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with dcguy regarding selling your plasma when you move and buying something from the country you've moved to.

As regards to the plasma/crt weight - a 32" crt is at least twice the weight of a 42" Plasma. Our 32" Panny TX32PF10 CRT weighed 75kg, the 43" Pioneer PDP-433MXE plasma a rather miniscule 31Kg.

Even though, shipping costs would be astronomical either way

anyother thing would be if it's a Plasma TV with a tuner/media box, then there could be issues with reception etc and possible even broadcast standards etc (possibly, but something to factor in)

regards
    Gary