1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma PS question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sharkbait, May 9, 2003.

1. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a REALLY dumb question ... :rolleyes: ... but I cannot figure the answer out myself. And I'm curious ...

How much improvement would you expect to see in PQ on a plasma by switching to PS?

The reason I was wondering is that the plasma is a progressive device anyway and will affectively attempt to de-interlace the picture.

Would you expect a big improvement in PQ between ... say ... the display from a PS component out DVD signal and an interlaced component out DVD signal?

I have tried to experiment with this on my Panny plasma with a Limit 9900 DVD player. There does not seem to be a huge difference and I am wondering whether:

i) there isn't any difference really and any improvement is psychological cos I want it to be better, or

ii) the Limit is not a good enough quality DVD player to produce a signal with a noticable difference.

This is not a life or death question ... was just interested in understanding this better.

2. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will depend upon the quality of the de-interlacing in the display and that of the source.

If the Plasma has state of the art processing then there shouldn't be much to be gained by using a progressive DVD player.

Of course if the Plasma video processing is only average then a DVD player with top quality de-interlacing should show an improvement, particularly with film source DVDs.

Sounds like your experiment proves both items have similar quality processing but to what level I can't quantify. You may want to try a better DVD player with your plasma to assess the possibilities (perhaps one with a Faroudja or Sil504 processor).