1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma prog scan issue?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rdt123, Feb 23, 2003.

1. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok pleeeaaase help!!!!

I have a philips 963sa thorugh component into a panny 42PW5 plasma. I have done the pal prog scan hack and selected unprocessed from the menu. The plasma is set to component.

Picture quality is great interlaced but on progressive scan on most disks feint vertical bars can be noticed on the left of the plasma. If this is not bad enough when i switch the dvd player on sometimes the screen is split in two! As though all the screen is being shown and is tiling, starting again on the right, if i switch progressive scan mode to ntsc then back to pal, it's fine.

I heard so much about progressive scan and have to say i can't really see the difference.

Any 963 or panny 5 owners please tell me i've missed something obvious.

P.S. my dvd players colour settings seem to have no effect through the component connection, is this normal, is the panny choosing to ignore what my player tries to change? Anyh thoughts on these problems would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

2. BallisticJack

BallisticJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rob,

I have the PW5 and the Philips 963SA. I too noticed the problem you speak of (two faint purple verticle lines on the left hand side of the screen). However, I could also see them when in interlaced mode (albeit even fainter). I'm assuming it's a problem with the Philips player and have organised for mine to be returned. I did a search on 'DVD Players/Recorders' forum and a couple of people were reporting the existence of these faint lines (albeit green ones this time), therefore I'm getting my money back.

Anyway, to be honest, I found it really hard to tell the difference between PAL progressive and interlaced even when viewing scenes which are suppose to really show up the difference.

Ben

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Panasonic is not really pal progressive compliant anyway, look in the manual for the video signals it's able to accept. It will list a load of reolutions, but in the manual I have, it doesn't list 575p, just 575i. Consider yourself lucky to have got a picture at all.

4. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Mines going back too. Did i hope for too much with prog scan? Is it worth me buying another prog scan player or isn't it worth the hype?

cheers

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO not worth the hype. 99.9% of the time you won't notice the difference. Get a PC, then you will.

6. BallisticJack

BallisticJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The PW5 DOES accept a PAL progressive signal. The manual I have list that accepts 625p, as well as 750p, 720p, 575p, 525p & 480p.

7. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny 5 manual also confirms PAL Prog support, and I get a fantastic picture linked up to a Philips 963SA . . . some lip-sinc issues with the player though, but that's another matter altogether . . .

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Mine certainly is, and says so in the manuals too. Even accepts PAL progressive via the Tuner box.

I think you must be confused.

StooMonster