Plasma problems

BALLISTIX

Standard Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for our esteemed experts on the forums, to post up some thumbnails and/or a brief description of the most common PQ problems with plasma panels?

i.e.

Dithering
Banding
Solorisation
Haloing
Pixelation
Tearing/shearing
Graining
etc
etc

The only one I know for sure is dithering, I'd have to guess at what the rest are tbh.
I think it would be really helpfull in the understanding of these terms if we could see them, so what do you think guys?

Regards
Andy

YOu must know that 1st before even speaking of "plasma problems" you should turn off ALL the "enhancements" available on your plasma because it's them that are making the graining and stuff like that not really the plasma screen.
As I said in another post if you have a PC-TV adapter like I do (cause Is till don't have my plasma and my CRT blew up 2x) you immediately see that most of the weird stuff is only seen when you turn on the filters...just my guess but I think that must be the same thing on plsamas...

The real question is more which brand/model has the best Picture Quality enhancing feature I think.

BALLISTIX said:
Dithering
Banding
Solorisation
Haloing
Pixelation
Tearing/shearing
Graining
etc
etc

Dithering - Unable to make mind up on which one to buy
Banding - Group get together to view latest movie
Haloing - Extended HALO/2 or Xbox sessions
Tearing/Shearing - the look of a tiny customers hair ,trying to get a decent picture
:clown:
I'll get my coat
JS

Let's give it a try. I hope these images are clear enough for all kinds of displays (in fact, maybe the original already has flaws that I can't see, as I have a TFT).

First, the original picture:

example_orig.jpg

__

Colour banding or posterisation (sometimes wrongfully called solarisation). I converted the original to 256 colors, using nearest color.

example_banding.jpg

__

Dithering. Again, converted to 256 color, but this time using dithering.

example_dither.jpg

__

Graining and halo-ing. Graining looks a bit like dithering, but it is caused by noise and/or by over-sharpening (as it is in this case), not by lack of colour. Also, there is some halo-ing (look at the horizon, it is the light 'edge' between the treeline and the sky).

example_graining.jpg

__

Pixelization. I think this is caused by lack of resolution or scaling issues, leading to loss of detail.

example_pixel.jpg

__

Tearing. The top half is shifted to the right, causing a 'tear' in the picture.

example_tearing.jpg

__

I'm not sure if I am right on all types of flaws, so correct me when I'm wrong.

- Jerry

Excellent stuff Jerry :clap: , now we can put a face to the name so to speak, if you are correct that is.

Can we make this a sticky please?

Regards
Andy.

There is also the issue of motion blur, which isn't just the blurring of the image - it looks very different on a plasma. I remember it was very bad on my old Samsung. Hard to replicate with photoshop filters too!

Hi, anyone knows if adjusting the brightness/contrast/sharpness/colour can reduce these effects? Esp banding. Got lots of those with my cable program, esp look of a close up shot of an actor's face.

Lets not forget "false contour"

That's where there are red or greenish areas are displayed where they should not be.

I've just answer this to another tread in the forum for "solarisation" but here's my view on solarisation.
The problem is relatead with 12 bit processing image chips, that most manufacturers use, including brands like Samsung and LG. The new Panasonic PDPs use 14 bit image engine that provide much more solarisation-free images because of better color depth.
The big question is marketing :devil: in the solarisation issue. Most manufacturers say they provide 12 bit engines when they refer to the input sinal on the PCB of the PDP panel, and that is true, but that does not mean the panel will actually OUTPUT 12 bit :eek: to the screen. In fact, the vast majority does not, and that's where the solarisation comes because of low color depth at output.
Panasonic and Pioneer are, to my knowledge, the only 2 manufacturers that actually provide almost solarisation-free images at OUTPUT (actually seen on screen) on the PDP panel, based on 12 and 14 bit real color.
This is an issue almost like the one in digital camera megapixels discussion in the past, when manufacturers like Fuji provived CCDs with a more dense distribution of light sensors and, because of that claimed TWICE the resolution :rotfl: of other manufacturers.
This issue of solarisation because of 10 to 14 bit image processing on PDPs will only come out of the marketing guys when global standards of specs description arrise, as already accours with megapixel resolution on digital cameras.

Iagree,this would make a great sticky.It's not often we have a chance to see what the potential faults actually look like before diving in.
Alan

Oh so I've got dithering then...BIG dithering! Engineer better offer me a swap cos this Hitachi 6600 is crap!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom