Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma Problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by DaVeKH, Jan 27, 2004.

1. DaVeKH

DaVeKH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had the following system ordered with Techtronics now for a few months:

Sony KE-42TS2 Plasma TV + Stand
    Sony SU-TS1E Glass Cabinet
    Sony RDR-GX7 Standard Multimod DVD Recorder
    Sony SA-VS500H VS Series Speakers
    Sony STR-DB2000S Silver Receiver

They Keep telling me it will be arriving next week and Ive been told that every week for at least the last 6 weeks. They then told me today that they basically dont know when its going to arrive and do I want to cancel the order or wait.

Im seriously looking at cancelling the order, Ive found these forums and it seems you dont really rate the TS2 very highly, can someone recommend an alternative setup and a supplier who will get the goods a bit quicker! I was looking at importing from the USA as everythings about 35% cheaper and I understand I will have to pay VAT + Shipping Costs, but has anyone got any ideas on this? Or any decent USA companies offering Plasmas at a decent price?

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don't have any opinions on the gear, but as a matter of principle if a vendor cannot tell me when they are going to recieve new stock I always cancel the order. They should know their suppliers better than that!

I had someone at Curry's (don't worry, it was for a sandwich toaster) tell me that they did not have any in stock, and they could not tell when more were coming in. But it wasn't an end of line because the code was wrong, but it may be in a few weeks. "Just keep coming in and checking".

So with today's "cut to the quick", "just in time" delivery methods, these things just turn up out of the blue when the manufacturer feels like sending some out, do they? Do they my bottom! The shops just aren't set up to make things easy for the customer. Buy what we have, or fudge off and stop wasting our time, was the message I got.

[/rant]

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One of the three reasons the Sony TS2 range is not highly rated here is that it's poor value for money and as a result not many members have them. Another reason is that it uses Fuji ALiS glass, which arouses strong controversy. And the third is that it's an integrated TV rather than a monitor, so it includes things like an analogue tuner which you might not need or could get better results with external processing. Oh, and it's useless for hanging on a wall as it's too thick. Despite all that I have the 32-inch version and have never been less than delighted with it. Like all other plasmas it can't beat CRT for ultimate picture quality, but in my case it was a trade-off between space and PQ. The Sony also looks smashing as a piece of AV furniture. However, as you have room for a 42-incher I think you owe it to yourself to check out Panasonic and Pioneer at least. Pioneer is also comparatively expensive but has a devoted following here.

4. DaVeKH

DaVeKH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Ill probably stick with my TS2 Choice. Does anyone know a UK supplier with them in stock?

Also Pros + Cons of importing from states?

5. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Dave Cullen

Dave Cullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0