1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brid0, Dec 23, 2003.

1. brid0

brid0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I bought a brand new Panasonic TH42PW6 last week but I'm having a problem getting a good picture. I have my Sky+ connected in via a high quality scart lead and my DVD player through high quality component video cables. And yet on both inputs the quality isn't as good as my old £200 Akura 28" TV!

Surely for £3000 the quality must be better than this?

The picture appears grainy and slightly blurred, and the best description I can think of is that the pixels appear to "dance" as if there is interference underneath the picture. This is most noticeable with darker colours. I've tried disconnecting things and switching things off but to no avail. Also adjusted contrast, sharpness etc. for hours on end.

I didn't view this model before I bought it and took a chance as all the reviews I read raved about this display.

I'm absolutely gutted. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Thanks,

Brian.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Without having the benefit of a 'big brother' camera watching you with your new purchase - might I venture to suggest that you are 'absolutely gutted' as a result of having scrutinised your new screen, from a close distance, to see how good it is, and then discovered that, actually, it isn't?

1: A larger screen will inevitably look somewhat less sharp than a smaller one. Try getting too close to a cinema screen! All TV and video sources are actually quite low resolution.

2: Shimmering - is to do with the way Plasmas have to generate very small amounts of a given colour, by dithering.

The solution in both cases is to watch the screen from a sensible viewing distance. Get really close to it and you will see artefacts such as those you describe. Watch it from at least 6 feet away (preferably 10) and forget what you've seen.

If, on the other hand, you are 'absolutely gutted' at a sensible viewing distance, then I'm unable to offer any real help.

3. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, no plasma is going to give the stunning results you have been hearing about without a better form of link cable. A Scart to YUV (component) should do the trick for Sky+.

Also, as Nigel said, looking 6 inches from the screen, you are on a almost double the size of your last, see digital artefacts and some noise, particularly with Sky due to it's less than amazing bandwidth.

Try component video, and watch it from a sensible distance, as you are not going to get round that sort of noise unless you do.

Good Luck!

Jake.

4. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brid0,

I think I know what you mean, I recently also bought a PW6, I am very happy with it however I also noticed the above and found that in the screen saver option that Wobble was turned on , this I found exceedingly noticable on movies (via Component) but not so obvious on Sky.

This may or may not be the problem, but just in case its an easy fix.

Its another one of those designed to alleviate the dreaded Plasma BURN.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Brian,

I had exactly the same concern on my PW6 which I got last week - close up the image was no where near as sharp as on my ancient 29" Sony.

The use of component leads improves this somewhat, but it is still there.

As Nigel said, you should only really judge the picture from your normal viewing distance. I sit 12 feet from mine, and the picture from DVD is brilliant, but when I go right up to the screen the artefacts are still there.

6. brid0

brid0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the comments.

I guess I may have been a bit overcritical. It probably didn't help that I saw a Pioneer 434 in a shop just after I bought my plasma. That really HAS a great picture. (AND a hefty price tag too!)

Anyway, I got the Digital Video Essentials DVD delivered through the door today, so I'll use that to try and get the best picture I can, and see how it goes.

Best wishes,

Brian.

P.S. my viewing distance is 10 feet. I only have a small living room :(

7. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    brid0,

Tell us how you get on :smashin:

DVD

8. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very interested to read this as I contemplate a move to a Plasma screen. Was looking at several models in House of Fraser today and was mightily unimpressed with the picture quality of all models on display most or all of which were hooked up to DVD players.

You're all right though - I was probably about 2 or 3 feet away from them when viewing...

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had a wee problem with mine the other day - basically i looked at the picture and it was terrible, very strange. If I paused a dvd on a completely black (or near as) background I could see yellow dots in rows and columns - basically it looked like noise interference on the screen.

I re-seated (actually moved) the component board to a difference socket and all was ok. It could be worth checking that out on your screen or re-seating the board just to be sure.