1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma pricing?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by buns, May 11, 2004.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Going down down down, the ring of fire.....

2. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    buns - where did you buy from and where is now cheaper? I can only assume some retailers are happy for low/negligible margin if they make added value through potential repeat custom on items where margins are higher - it does increase revenue substantially which can increase market share and thus decrease competition - in theory.

3. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    32" Widescreens, LCD projectors, AV recievers all hit the market over £2k mate, and you can pick them up very cheap now. same for plasma's mate, in 3 years time i reckon you can pick them up for £800 easy ;)

IIRC it costs a lot less to manufacture an LCD projector than it does a budget 32" CRT, its just the way the market is moving is where the prices are at.

Technology is never an investment though, if you want one, buy one :D

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in on the £2250 deal..... nexnix are £2150.

I appreciate prices come down, but plasma is a tad more difficult than many techs given the need for 2 great big plates of glass places with great precision.

I guess one thing im wondering is whether the price from manufacturer has been decreasing or whether the dealers are taking ever smaller cuts?

ad

5. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buns, maybe you could ask this question to Alistair, :blush: although I am sure hes not gonna give you a straight answer. :laugh:
    Its the same with all this AV equipment that we buy, its expensive when first released, but a few months later the prices start to drop. Having just bought a panny in the 2250 deal it seems we took the plunge a little early, but I still reckon we got a good deal. :thumbsup:

6. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi guys

Burning the midnight at the office and thought I may try and give as straight an answer as I can:laugh:

Recently Panasonic dropped their prices on the PWD6 Charcoal so that is one of the reasons there has been a price drop recently. Panasonic consumer do deals every now on the silver version and again the majority of dealers pass these savings on.

The rest, as they say, is down to competition and how much margin dealers are prepared to work on. There obviously has to be enough margin to keep your business going and also to invest in demo stock etc.

If you look at the prices plasmas were selling at only a year ago there has been a significant drop over this period which is great for the consumer. I think that forum members posts about their favoured retailers have shown that - for some - a retailers reputation can be just as important as low prices.

Anyway now have scrambled brain and am off home to see whether the dinner is in the dog again. :(

Regards

Alastair