1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma prices over time?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peejay, Oct 15, 2003.

1. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know plasma prices have fallen dramatically in the past, but as I don't have one yet I'm interested in how their prices might fall in the future. Are they going to continue to fall, do you think? Perhaps at a slower rate? I know that in the past couple of months - when I've been thinking about plasmas - they don't seem to have fallen in price much.

I'd also be interested to know how prices have behaved in the past, if anyone has been obsessed/thorough enough to keep records (maybe a stack of magazines?)! Do they tend to fall a slight amount every month, for example? Or do you get each generation introduced at a price lower than the introduction price of the previous generation, but then the price is pretty static until near the end of the model's lifespan?

Basically, do prices fall in steps when new models are introduced, or do they have a long term gradual fall in price and actually jump up a bit when new models come in? (Of course, old models will be sold off at lower prices, but that isn't a way for plasma prices in general to fall over time.)

This is all relevant to my thinking about buying an Hitachi. If the new 5000 is going to replace the 3000, then is the price of buying a new Hitachi plasma about to increase or decrease?!

Cheers!

Peter

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I started on this AV lark 3 tyears ago, a 50 inch plasma was 15,000 and a 42 inch plasma was 10,000, now they are 4999 and 2000, looks like the prices are dropping and still dropping well.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    The price drop on 32inc and 42ins models seem to be slowing but the 50s are dropping at least a grand a year but will also beggin to slow as they reach the £3999 mark

maybe in 2 yrs a 42 pany will sell at£2000 and a 50inch at £3500

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think this will depend on how hard a push other techs give plasma such as LCD. As far as I can tell as a process, plasma will be a more expensive to produce than LCD, LCOS so will not get as cheap.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    with the break throughs in the LCD market i think LCD will surpass plasma as the majour home format.
    I kept a close on on the disply forum 2003 and they seem to think plasma is will end up the poor relative.

some significant size increases are due, i think a 70ins lcd is in pre production or in prototype form so they are on the way.

A price war maybe on the cards to establish the dominate format

6. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always think with these things that there's a price point that everyone's waiting for. When it hits it becomes massmarket and the price goes through a huge shift.

Plasmas are a little different because of the obvious cost of the materials involved (glass for example)

However, IMHO the £1999 mark is the magic number for plasmas and as soon as we see a reputable known brand produce one for this money (panasonic for eg) then it suddenly becomes accessible to a much larger audience. We should quickly see the £1000 mark hit after this.

Good examples of this are cd burners (£100) scanners (£100) Widescreen TVs (£1000) DVD players (£200)

That's what I reckon anyway:D

7. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking further about the question I posed - do plasmas fall gradually in price, or in steps as new ones are introduced - I suppose that boils down to whether lower costs are achieved by increases in production volumes, or improvements in design. I guess it's probably a combination of both, really.

It's only by costs falling that prices can fall (in the long term). Of course in the short term an old generation model can by sold below cost to make way for a new one.

So, I wonder if the 42PD3000 will fall in price when the 5000 is released? That would be the time to buy!

(Actually, it looks like the 5000 MIGHT have its gubbins inside the screen itself rather than a separate box, which would be very strange and a deal breaker for me - making a sell-off of the 3000 even more attractive. Not certain on this.)

Peter

PS gandley - it amused me that you're predicting that LCDs will become dominant over plasmas, and your sig says "THERES ONLY ONE WAY AND THATS THE PLASMA WAY". I guess I'm easily amused.

8. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never actually seen an LCD in a shop or at a show that doesn't look fundamentally broken smearing, artifacts, colour innacuracy. Not subtle - even to the ordinary punter.

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yeah, does make u giggle but its the news ive been gettin in the last week from the display forum 2003.

At present im realy not a fan of lcd. ill take a plasma, but it does look that the tide will soon change in favour lcd. In fact from what ive been finding out, the predictions are coming from the major manufactures of plasma. I think it is a cost thing. but i dont think will see pioneer do an lcd as they are plasma all the way.

still @ present plasma is the best option so my motto hold true