1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma PQ VS LCD PQ

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leerock, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ve just saw the philips 37pf9986.
    the picture quality of this lcd tv is reaaaallly amazing.
    It s really stunning and I think i ll never see such a picture quality on a plasma.
    Is this right?
    I think plasma soon will be replaced by lcd not only because their PQ is far ahead
    but also because they don t suffer from screen burn.

P.S. This is so disappointing coz I ve just bought the pio 435hde :suicide:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Depends on your point of view - I've yet to see an LCD that, to my eyes, gives a better picture thatn a properly setup plasma but others would disagree.

One thing that LCDs are very good at is displaying computer animinated films such as Finding Nemo, Shrek etc.

All IMHO of course :)

John

3. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have never seen an lcd that is up there with a good plasma, its just my opinion but i think the blacks are awful, the motion isnt fluid and until they sort this out I would stay away from them.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I'm with the above. Until the response time improve, I wouldn't use one as my main set.

5. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The response time is now about 16 ms on some of the better ones but evry time i see one , especially a feature film, the picture justs looks false.

6. markevo

markevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch a 42pw7b at home and a 32 lcd at work, I installed my plasma at home evrything via componant(dmre55/ntldigital/xbox)
    at work the lcd was installed by an electech that is apparently up on all this stuff and i must say that the PQ on my plasma outshines the lcd by 100%
    moving pics are much better with no drag or pixelating on fast scenes where as the lcd makes you look away to rest your eyes.
    looking at the lcd is like looking at a flat photo, my plasma gives the picture much more depth and realism.

This is only my view and my feelings, not everyone has the same thoughts,
    I went plasma and wouldnt change it for anything, in my mind i made the right choice and thats what its all about.

7. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have 42inch lg px4211 plasma and a lg lcd and the lcd knocks the spots off it =ok not got the plasma set up right only using scart on av1 but after paying 1500 squid and you find out u need to fork more out for a scaler pretty annoying-cheers knobbs.

8. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If youve got a proven plasma like the pany and got the right inputs etc the lcd doesnt stand a chance.

If you are going to spend £1500 plus on any visual device then you really need to see it running with similar set up to how yours will be set up, that is the only way to judge....to spend without seeing first is madness.

9. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Leerock, want sell you 435 and go LCD :) ?

10. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

goooooood no
    after reading all these replies

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Now ask the same question in the LCD forum.

Basically, a decent plasma or LCD both make a decent display device. The differences between the two come down to personal preferences, technical specification, size, budget, style and WAF. For most people, the differences in PQ are immaterial.

12. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    All my replies were to do with picture quality when watching tv and films.

Now when i play computer games i use my lcd which i feel are better for games

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've never seen an LCD that looked as good as a reasonable plasma at the same viewing distance (per screen size) with normal (SKY, say) sources. Walking away from LCDs they can suddenly 'click' into a gorgeous, crisp, contrasty picture - but that's usually about 20 feet away! Any closer and I see artifacts or that strange flattening on live broadcasts. YMMV.

14. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi agree with the above need a big living room for the larger lcd, also viewing angle is a downside, ive had 3-- 21inch lcds and the lg is superb connected via scart from sky even though theres no rgb on it it outshines my 42inch lg but so it should being half the size but still need to be about 8-10 ft away-so if you need a telly for your dining room or so get the 20.5 inch lg u carnt go wrong.

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Come on guys, you will all be saying that LCD's leave trails behind next. Modern screens have pretty much confined problems with viewing angles and smearing to the level where it has no normal detremental effect whatsoever on the PQ. And as for having to sit 20ft away, I often sit 1.5m away from my 32" panel and see nothing that detracts from the enjoyment of what I am watching.

16. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Put some glasses on an sit at normal distance.....you will then see

17. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't need glasses and normally sit further away but I often sit at that distance because I can. Of course if it was a plasma, I would be seeing green dots infront of my eyes. I also need to be at this distance when looking for flaws in DVD's whern watching them at 720p/1080i@50/60 via HDMI. On a PWD6 detail such as this would simply be a blur if it was possible to get input at this resolution in digital clarity.

Being less emotive and being more constructive, as someone who formally worked in the broadcast industry doing computer graphics, I know the difference between a good screen and a bad screen. You can get bad LCD's much like you can get a bad plasma but you can get good LCD's now adays if you care to look. Both technologies have their plus and minus points and neither are the perfect display technology.

And as for the picture looking wrong, I know what you mean. But it is only a feature of LCD's because you are looking at the raw screen. If you look at something like the Loewe Spheros that has a glass screen, it looks very much like a plasma picture.

18. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD will be unlikely to take over the plasma as of yet becuase there are a few technical hitches.
    LCD has a lot less grey shades then plasma does and this becomes obvious on larger screens as you are magnifying your ability to see the mistakes more easily.

The contrast ratios also lag far behind that of plasma giving you a very pale shade of black no matter what size of LCD you watch

Also if you compare the largest of lcd to a pioneer 43" plasma or fujitsu latest 42" using the same clean dvd source that the detail is sharper, more intact on the plasma and that the colours are more natural.

As there is no LCD of any real quality produced of the same size as a good plasma yet its unfair to say which is
    best until we can compare like for like but it still seems that plasma are the best big screen solution at this moment in time.

hope that helps a little :lesson:

19. djhelium

djhelium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont no if i gave the right impression but generally LCD is great for smaller use upto 30" but then it gets a bit dicey looking, for 37" screens and upwards its plasma all though i think screens like the screenplay 5700 are too good to be true for the pic quality at there price :thumbsup:

20. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I totally agree with you Macleanrd. My brother has a Phillips 30inch LCD. He put Pirates of the carribean on and I couldn't hide my dissappointment at how false the Pic looked.
    It was not like a movie, it reminded me of Some of those early Video TV shows (Triangle, showing my age, being one of them).