1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Power leads - extending them ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stu Ward, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    New plasma setup, but i want to take the power lead through the external wall and then come back in just under the plug socket. The stock lead has 2 ferrite rings, but are these absolutely necessary ?

Also where can i purchase one approx 3m in length ?

Cheers

Stu

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stu, if you are going to pass it through a hole in the wall, you are better off to use a bit of flex and put the plugs on after you've done that. The ferrites are not necessary, and very often they are supplied loose as well as being fixed to the cable. If you have a psychological need for ferrites, I've probably got about 500 in a box here, they never seem to make any difference, so we rarely fit them.

3. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah i got loose ones too

If i get a load of flex i might just put 1 on each end just in case :smashin:

Thanks MAW

Stu

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW is right, better off fixing one in-situ [REST OF MESSAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR (codlord) - breaks forum rule 7]

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    I thought the ferrites were there to reduce high frequency noise - most of this will be coming OUT of the SMPSU of the plasma.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is true, but other components don't seem to suffer, and fitting/removing the ferrites seems to make no difference in 99% of cases. I wonder if they are another of those little hi fi gimmicks, like spending £500 on a mains lead, and directional speaker cables.

7. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    MAW it wouldn't make any difference to me - cause I'm a non believer in all that expensive stuff - 79 strand rocks!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good for you. The Emperor's new clothes is my daughter's favourite story.... There might well be a call for more than 79 strands if you have long cable runs, we quite often do audio in gardens. Your average home cinema setup, it's fine. Even QED silver anniversay is pretty thin. That's the best I ever specify unless asked to by the client. I'm a believer in adequate quality in cables, they must be fit for purpose. You can clearly see the difference between the freebie scart in the box with the kit and a £25 QED squart, say! You can't ge the same startling effect by spending another £100, there is too little improvement to be made.