plasma power comsumption ?

Arthur Weasley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question folks.
In comparison to lcd tv's, how much extra power is a panasonic txp37x10b likely to consume ?
I was looking at the Toshiba 37xv635db, but after looking at the feedback for the plasma I decided to go for that one.
It's my first ever new tv since owning the old style ones, so I'm hoping I have made the right choice.
Thanks.

I really don't think it's worth worrying about.
It might be a few quid (£20?) over a year.

I've heard all sorts, but at the end of the day it depends what you watch.

It's safe to say that for both types, the brighter the pic, the more power you use.

Remeber - LCDs consume the quoted power continuously for the backlight, plpasmas consume power to emit light so look at the lower power figure as well.

who cares,you have bought a much better tv.would you rather save a couple of quid every year but watch a poorer tv with washed out blacks and poor motion handling?;)

Ok, time to take the plunge then.
It's off to you know where in the morning to have a final look before the official parting of the wallet ceremony. (oh the pain ! )
Lets hope Iv'e chosen right. :eek:

Ok, time to take the plunge then.
It's off to you know where in the morning to have a final look before the official parting of the wallet ceremony. (oh the pain ! )
Lets hope Iv'e chosen right. :eek:

Bear in mind you're on the plasma forum, so we're all biased, but you have chosen wisely, trust me ;)

Er...ok.
I will return in the near future to let youknow if I am a happy bunny or not.

Thanks all.

Hi,
In comparison to lcd tv's, how much extra power is a panasonic txp37x10b likely to consume ?
I was looking at the Toshiba 37xv635db
I wasn't certain if you owned this Plasma TV or not but I think Plasma in general consumes more than LCD/CRT. What Video measured the 37X10 at 235 Watts for average viewing. I have a 37 inch 1080p LCD panel and that uses 160 on max backlight, 120/80 on normal settings (I am using 80 Watts with a DVD Player attached at the moment). I'm not familiar with the Toshiba model but there are probably reviews and info on the web and press.

Remeber - LCDs consume the quoted power continuously for the backlight, plpasmas consume power to emit light so look at the lower power figure as well.
Well, I have been told that but it is quite simple to measure average power consumption. Obviously both will consume less on a Black screen than a White one but the former is unrealistic. I think in general Plasma uses 40/50% more power to generate the same brightness as other display types. Most Plasmas are capable of 150 cd but I think they struggle to reach 200, which is a level that most LCD and CRT TVs can achieve.

Last edited:
Most Plasmas are capable of 150 cd but I think they struggle to reach 200, which is a level that most LCD and CRT TVs can achieve.

I assume this is "burn your eyes out" mode?

That's not relevant at all, imo, as no-one but a fool runs a telly at max brightness, but there you go :)

Please be sensible.

Although I totally accept plasmas use more power than LCDs :smashin:

It's the price you pay for a better picture, unless you go to the very top of the LCD range, imo.

Well, I don't think 150 cd is that bright but obviously that is relative. 100 cd is quite dim though so I imagine average viewing would be within those figures.

. What Video measured the 37X10 at 235 Watts for average viewing. I have a 37 inch 1080p LCD panel and that uses 160 on max backlight, 120/80 on normal settings

sounds about right, Panasonic plasmas are shown in the specs as the maximum wattage, and the 'average' for normal viewing. The 37X10 is listed: rated 230W, "on mode average" 189W.

The 42G10 is 350W and 200W. They say "Based on IEC 62087 Ed.2 measurement method" for On Mode average if you want to Google it :)

So.. 80W @ 5 hours a day @ 365 days a year @ 12p/kwH = £17.50 extra. That's the same cost saving by changing a single 100W lightbulb to a 20W energy saving one.

Well, I don't think 150 cd is that bright but obviously that is relative. 100 cd is quite dim though so I imagine average viewing would be within those figures.

This is not correct.

Let's get it right here.

I'm being pernickity even though I'm not really bothered, tbh, but you're insinuating that plasmas are dull when it's simply not true.

This is backed up by the fact that any flat screen needs to be turned down from it's default settings on any review I've ever seen.

By all means extol the virtues of LCD if you think the technology is better, but please don't try and say the brightness is in some way superior, because frankly, it's rubbish, imo.

If you are concerned about power consumption you could try sust-it.net.You can input your actual electricity charges or just use the national average and then select your model and it gives an annual charge based on six hours viewing a day.It's really pretty useful as it also covers many other household appliances.

Well Iv'e ordered it :thumbsup:
There's no going back now so roll on the next electricity bill :rolleyes:
Thanks everyone.

Hi,
By all means extol the virtues of LCD if you think the technology is better, but please don't try and say the brightness is in some way superior, because frankly, it's rubbish, imo.
I wasn't doing that, just stating the facts. These are measures of luminosity, not brightness but LCDs can go from 100-400 cd on average, CRTs can get above 200 but I haven't seen many Plasmas that can. It was relevant to my point about a White screen, however the Agilent study I was quoting from measured at equal brightness.

You can watch a TV with 100 cd luminance but my only issue is that it will not be that bright and you would certainly need some other light in the room to avoid eye strain.

I'm being pernickity even though I'm not really bothered, tbh, but you're insinuating that plasmas are dull when it's simply not true.

This is backed up by the fact that any flat screen needs to be turned down from it's default settings on any review I've ever seen.
It depends on what the default settings are though. Like I said, mine has backlight on full which is sometimes up to 300/400 cd which is not necessary. 100 cd is relatively dim on any display - my point was that any measurement, such as Contrast or Brightness, has to take luminosity into account. Basically, Plasma uses more power to achieve the same level of brightness as LCD/CRT/Projector. Then you have measured Black and White levels - at 100 cd the Black level will be OK, but at 200 it will be considerably higher. Digitalversus now measures Black with White at 200 cd, and for some reason only LCD TVs seem to be measured at that level - I can only assume that the Plasma TV in question cannot match these White levels on the settings used.

My only point on power consumption would be that if Plasma did have a higher White point then it would probably require more energy. Some TFT and CRT displays are used at higher brightness for certain tasks, and it is apparently beneficial in long-term use to protect eyesight.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom