1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma placement advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daveb975, Sep 22, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Apologies if this is the wrong section for this question, please feel free to move if it is.

I have just moved to a new flat, and am having trouble working out where to fit all of my kit, including screen (42" plasma).

The room is 16' x 11', with a large window at one end (on the 11' wall), and a fireplace in the middle of one of the 16' walls. Additionally, I have no clue where I will put my full size B&W centre speaker if I go down this route!

The only two options I can think of are:

1. Mount above the fireplace, but this would place the screen quite high, especially considering I would only be viewing it from an 11' distance.

2. Mount on the 11' wall opposite the window. This may look a bit odd as the screen would then be quite close to the door. The main concenr would be where to put the sofa, as it would have to go directly in front of the window and radiator.

The only other option is to buy a projector, whihc would fit in very nicely! Trouble is, this change is beyond budget at the moment.

Has anyone else has any similar problems?

2. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've fitted mine aboe my fireplace, and it is quite high. This causes no problems at all for me, you get used to it in a couple of days. I sit about 12 ft away

3. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've fitted mine above my fireplace, and it is quite high. This causes no problems at all for me, you get used to it in a couple of days. I sit about 12 ft away

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    I have a similar room and have mine on the short wall beside the door from the hallway. My sofa is positioned in front of the window which doesnt pose a problem, all I need to do is close the blinds when watching tv. You might find that puting it on the long wall you are too close for comfortable watching.

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
  6. kev777

kev777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to mount mine high up on the wall, which I guess looks better, but opted to mount it so the centre is about 10-15 cms higher than my line of vision sitting down. Even at the height it's still higher than where it would be on a floor stand...

I know some people don't mind it being higher up but what works best at the cinema?