1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Picture shearing Poll, Please help me

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by artois, Jan 17, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, my tv is manufactured by Tiny

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. No, my tv is manufactured by Tiny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, my tv is manufactured by another company

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. No, My tv is manufactured by another company

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hey, I am having trouble getting a replacement for my tv due to picture shearing problems.

I have mentioned this in another thread and have since found there to be numerous identical cases mentioned in other threads.

My television is a Tiny Focus 4200

I was told this picture problem was a common issue which all plasmas suffer from their technical support and when I questioned this I was told to look on the internet and I would see this. I was told I am not entitled to a refund or replacement. As far as I can find Tiny.com is the only company that gets a mention regarding this issue.

I am creating this poll as a way of gathering wide evidence to support my claim that my tv is unfit for purpose and I should be entitled to a refund.

:lease: I would greatly appreciate if you would help by taking part in this poll.

I must note that this is not an attack against TINY. I just cant afford to waste that ammount of money.

Cheers

2. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hitachi 42PD3000 and have not had ANY problems with the picture in the 14 months that I have had it from new.

Niraj

3. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks in advance to everyone who takes part.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    as you will have seen inother threads I have same issues with my tiny.

5. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panny th-42pwd7b(s) picture is fine with no shearing

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Never had a problem with this with my plasma, and never heard about if before with any plasma.
    I did have a problem with shearing on my old Plus UP880 DLP projector with pal progressive, but this was sorted out with a firmware fix as it was down to bad processing.
    You need to ask them to tell you, who the other manufacturers are that have this problem also as you cannot find any info, why should search for other products that don't work? I have never heard such **** before.
    They have sold you a product that is not up to the job it was designed for, simple as that.

Have you been to trading standards if you are not happy, they will ask them to provide proof that this is a common problem with all plasmas, and I doubt they will want to start naming other brands as faulty, very dangerous grounds.

7. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I do agree it is ridiculous that they have the cheek to tell me to look for other faulty products (these were supposedly on a website reviewing the top 5 plasmas which supposedly all had this problem) Not yet been to trading standards as I am currently trying to discover how isolated a case this is. It is certainly an avenue I shall be considering should the matter not be resolved.

8. puffypuss

puffypuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a big problem with picture shearing on my samsung plasma (ordered one from tiny never turned up, bought one from comet instead) as tiny advertise on tiny.com that they use samsung panels on the FOCUS range is this the problem???

Im going back to comet this weekend with my DVD player and spiderman 2 to see if the picture is as crap as the one im watching now!!

Its funny though I asked before I bought the plasma (which was next to a LG) why the picture quality was poor the sales man said it's the way the scarts are set up in the store?? Maybe not but the LG looked better for £200 less!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So could the one who has shearing on a non tiny screen kindly spill the beans?

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I would guess it is puffypuss in teh post above yours, describing the fault on his Samsung :p :)

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It wasn't showing when I posted, it came up on my pc straight under yours. This is happening to me every other post at the moment.

12. puffypuss

puffypuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spill what beans ??? :rolleyes: Just sayin that tiny advertise that they use "latest genaration samsung plasma panels" which i have bought with a proper badge on it that sucks big time! Think ill go and argue with comet and get a LG!

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    he's referring to the poll at the top of this thread

14. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can induce it on my MXE1 by setting the frame rate conversion option to mode 1 and feeding the plasma a 50Hz PC DVI signal from my Lumagen...then on panning shots I get both judder and occasional shearing as the panel is performing its own internal frame rate conversion which is not favourable...when the FRC option on the panel is set to mode 2 then all is fine...no tearing and no judder.

So I would say your problem is down to the screen not having adaquate internal processing to handle a 50Hz source...I don't suppose you have been able to try sending it a 60Hz NTSC signal ? and if so did it fair any better ?

Cheers, Lee

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Puffypuss, don't worry about me, your post did not display in time for me to read it before hitting the quick reply button. I saw the poll with 1 non tiny screen and wondered what it was. No offence to anyone or any make intended. I think Lee is on the right lines, they must have some sort of fixed internal refresh rate.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    And it was the same thing on my Plus DLP projector, it had to convert 50hz to 60hz and could not do it properly, I beleive the firmware actually slowed the wheel down rathe than try and convert the framrate, it used to tear about a third of the way down the screen.

17. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have tried sending a 60hz signal to the tv using the xbox and i'm afraid the problem is still apparent when testing out both dvd movies and games.