Plasma picture quality question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ketank, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

I have a really basic Plasma question……

I currently have standards aerial with old TV set, nothing special….. I want to buy an LG plasma, my question is with quality.

With the standard layout I currently have will my LG picture look as impressive as it does on the shop floor or will it look the same as my 10 year old 29” TV or less than this.

What can I expect with my new plasma and current layout. And what should I be aware off?

Many thanks.

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Presumably you can get freeview?

3. SPANKYSPANGLER

SPANKYSPANGLER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have you seen the set you want to buy displayed on a "shop floor" and if so where.

You need to be aware that most dealers or "numpty" stores like Currys and Comet will usually use an HD (High Definition) feed into there showroom sets to display them with maximum wow factor.

If you are going to purchase a plasma, my advice to you is to get the sales person to set it up with the connections you are likely to be using so that you can get an idea of what the picture quality is going to be like.

Too many times I have seen people who haven't got a clue about what they are talking about, go into stores like Currys and Comet and get suckered into buying a tv set on the HD picture quality alone - and I'm sure when they get home they must be mighty disappointed :confused:

Don't let numpty sales people talk you into something without knowing what you want :thumbsup:

4. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    choddo2006, Yes the TV has free view and I will get a free view aerial install as opposed to analogue. Will this help?

SPANKYSPANGLER, that exactly what I’m afraid off the salesman…. I saw a LG 42” WOW quality picture in Curry’s but then saw a demo in Comet with standard quality compared to HD (DVD show) (exaggerated)?????
    And the Standard was worst off then my 10 year old TV set I currently have, So I’m wondering is it worth me getting a plasma…..? Is it only worth getting one if you have the top notch setup and HD…?

5. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  6. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ketank, please be aware that no plasma will ever reach the perceived quality of a small-size CRT...You simply cannot see all the imperfections of standard SD signal (RF or freeview) on such a small screen especially if watching from a 2 meter or greater distance...ghosting, checkered chroma crosstalk, bluriness of RF and macroblocking of freeview are all blown-up on a 42" set...some sets deal with this a little better than the others but generally you will never be as satisfied with non-HD broadcasts on a plasma as you were on your CRT...don't let this put you off though, but this IS the sad state of affairs...I'd look for a plasma with least ammount of processing (which usually results in clay faces, a median-filter type processing that is used to scale video half-frames into full frames and suppress the noise) and would rather go for a picture that may be more grainy but is also more natural...

7. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting thankyou!!!!

8. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    ketank

The PQ is going to depend on your input source

I have a SD 42" LG with

1)Onboard freeview
    2)Analogue
    3)Upscaling DVD player
    4)Digifusion PVR

With the following results

1) ok most of the time superb but some channels are poor depending ob bandwidth

2) Crap

3) Excellent

4) Excellent

As has already been said and IMHO you still wont beat a god CRT for PQ but believe the wow factor of size never wears off

I also found that for the first 200 hours the PQ was not as good as it is now with 1000 hours but thats probably due to me being cautious and keeping contrast and brightness down real low to avoid any problems

regards