1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma picture quality: 42" v. 50"?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rob@rar.org.uk, Jun 6, 2002.

1. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently considering plasma options, and I was just wondering what the difference is (picture quality, not price!) between a 42 inch and a 50 inch screen. On the strength of reviews the Panasonic plasmas seem to be the ones to look at: does anyone have any experience of the 42 inch v. the 50 inch?

Regards

Rob

2. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently all current 50" sets are 3rd generation whereas the current 42" sets are 4th generation. I read somewhere that the 4th generation 50" sets should be available in autumn, so it may be better to wait a few months if you are thinking of buying a 50" set.

Regards
    Carsten.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Rob

As you may be aware Panasonic run two plasma lines in the UK - the Silver bezelled Consumer displays and the Charcoal bezelled Commercial displays; we tend to sell more of the Charcoal displays as they have a couple of connectivity advantages over the Silver displays.

The current Charcoal TH-50PHD30BX 50" display is a generation on from the current TH-50PHW3B Consumer display and also offers an upgrade path to DVI connectivity that is not available on the Consumer model.

I don't expect to see too much of a change if we do get a new model later this year - the TH-50PHD30BX model is only two months old. Probably the biggest change will be with the Silver Consumer model - though again don't expect any huge step forward.

As for 42" vs. 50" - I've yet to have anyone swap a 50" out for a 42" display :D

If you have the budget and the wall space I would go for the 50" display - it can be a bit more demanding of your source kit but get it set up properly and it is pretty amazing.

Best regards

Joe

4. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe, this is helpful.

BTW Joe, if you have sent an email to me (Robert Rees) at my work address regarding my inquiry a couple of weeks ago I have been having some difficulty accessing that email server remotely so have not collected my email for a little while.

Regards

Rob