1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma PE30 - RGB & Component Issue...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Seanjackdan, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading loads about this plasma on here, and mine will be arriving in 2 days time !!!

However please can someone clarify this:

If I connect my DMR-E75 (dvd/vhs combi recorder)to the plasma using AV4 component (for progressive scan PQ), and RGB Scart in AV4 as well (for the audio), will the scart overide the component connection? ( ...and if it did how could I tell)?

Also am I right in thinking:

NTL Cable Box would go into AV1 (RGB Scart) of Plasma...?

Sony DAVS888 (dvd player/amp/surround) goes into AV2 (RGB Scart) of Plasma.....?

I was also thinking of connecting a digital optical connection from DMR-E75 to Sony as well ?

Hopefully you techies on here can clarify this, but I think I am getting there !!!

Cheers........ Sean !!!!!!

2. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You have nearly got it right.
    Connect your NTL to AV1 this will allow RGB.
    Connect your DVD both to AV4 via scart, this will allow your sound and picture aspect switching, then also connect the component lead to the DVD aswell. The TV will automatically use the component connection for picture and use the scary for sound. You will then have to switch the setting on the DVD player aswell to output the component signal. You can tell that the TV is getting the component signal as AV4C will be displayed in the top right hand corner of screen for a short time.
    Hope this is clear.

3. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the reply Orlando - I appreciate it.

Would the optical cable I mention above allow me to listen to DMR-E75 through my surround sound ( the Sony DAVS888) ?

4. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes it would. Just turn down the volume on the TV and listen to the sound via your amp. Remember to switch the DVD players sound output to Bitrate or similar (it will be in the DVD plyers manual).

5. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate ......... thanks once again.........

sean.................

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    AV2 is NOT RGB enabled.

However it is an IN/OUT scart. That means you can connect your amp to it and output terrestrial signal for sound or even your NTL to your amp set up via the Plasma. OR you can use the left/right audio outputs.

7. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko Starr,
    Could I connect my Sony (dvd/amp/surround) via AV2 of the plasma with a scart one end (into the plasma), and an s-video connector into the sony at the other end (the sony has no scart sockets) ???

That is how it is connected at the moment to my Panasonic CRT television.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    AV2 handles S-Video, so yes you can do that. However you will only be carrying video via that cable and no sound. I take it you were using the Sony Combo just to play your DVD's ?

The benefit of using AV2 OUT and hooking up to your amp is you can actually feed the sound of anything you are watching on the screen to your amp through the Plasma. Very handy to enjoy NTL or terrestrial or DVB quite easily through your surround system. You can even get the output for your DMRE85 routed through to AV2 should you wish, but you will only experience 2 Channel stereo. Better to connect DVD to amp via Digital co-axial or Optical to benefit from DD/DTS decoding.

I wouldn't worry so much, there is a host of options available to you for your set up once you get the screen. Anymore questions once you get it we will talk you through step by step if you like. :)

9. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko Star ......... watch this space !!!!

... by the way I already use my SONY DAVS888 for listening to DVD's , SKY, etc.... through its surround speakers, so I must be doing something right !!!!!!

Sean............

10. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star,
    Thanks for all your help, I much appreciate it - I have sent you a PM...

Sean..........

11. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star,
    Sorry I couldn't seem to add an atachment to a PM, so I have attached it here.
    Please can you have a look , and let me know if this is the perfect set up for the PE30 please, with the equipment I've got ....

Sean........

Attached Files:

• AV.doc
      Size:
      25 KB
      Views:
  12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    For some reason I can't open your attachment ?

13. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hows ure luck, eh !!!!!!!

any chance of your e-mail address and I can forward it to you........

if you don't want to put yours on here, mail me @ "seanjackdan@ntlworld.com"

many thanks....... sean.........

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes , Sean that seems fine, but I see you are not benefitting from RGB NTL connected directly to your DMRE75 for recording purposes. I suppose you are connecting using RF for that ?

No need to change any cabling, just settings on the Viera.

On the Viera, if you set AV4 as your IN/OUT scart and select source as AV1. Then you will be able to record NTL (make sure to change output to RGB in the box) to DVD-R/RAM benefitting from RGB throughput on the the Viera as well. ;)

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Also I would suggest you use a very, very good scart cable for the DMRE75 when hooked to the Viera.

You want something that is fully shielded on all cabling and all 21 pins on the socket as well. Not all of the so called quality cabling is shielded in this manner, so beware on what you buy !! eg the Thor Scart cable (round) is not.

I would best suggest flat ribbon cable which is better isolated than any of the rounded cables. But even then, make sure that the flat ribbon is isolated for all 21 cables, as some (including some major brands) actually clump audio in/out together.

16. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko Star - Plasma came today, set it up - and it is awesome !!!!

Few niggles with me set up, but can I let you know exactly what is wrong ( nothing major) when I have had more of a play !!!!!

Generally over the moon though........

Sean.........