1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma (Panny PW6) or LCD (Shape LC32GA4E)?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by asm495, Oct 22, 2004.

1. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd been holding off buying a new flatscreen TV/display for a while as I was hoping prices would drop in the next year or so, however issues have been forced upon me by my old 28" widescreen CRT breaking last night.

I've been having a quick look around for what to get and I can't decide between LCD and Plasma. What I want to use the screen for is initially direct connection to my DVD (SVHS) and Cable box (SCART). However I plan in the semi-near future to build and connect a HTPC via DVI. All of these I want to be able to view at full screen with no bars.

What attracts me to the Plasma is the large size for the cost. However, what puts me off is the low resolution and the fact I'd have to buy separate connector boards and sound system.

With the LCD I really like how it's high resolution, contains all the connectors I need and has basic sound to tide me over until I get around to buying a separate sound system. What I don't like is the fact the screen is smaller and costs more.

Here are the two screens I am looking at:

http://www.av-sales.com/html/sharp_lc32ga4e.html

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd6_plasma.html

Can anyone provide some guidance as to which might be better for my requirements please or let me know their experiences with either of these displays. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    I must admit I started looking at the Sharps - think they look good and the picture seems pretty smart aswell. I initially thought the 32" would be fine.

But I am going to wall mount, so I cut card rectangles representing 32", 37" and 42" and stuck them to the wall.

The 32" looked 'lost' on the wall whilst the 37" and 42" were fine (even my wife agreed with me on this one).

So I would say if you were going to mount it on a pedestal in the corner of the room then the Sharp 32 is a good contender but on a wall in a normal size room I think it looks too small (esp without the speakers).

Sharp do 37" aswell but at a price.

There is a 5E serious comming out at the end of the year. Sharp have told me that this is the same spec as the 3E and 4E but will not have detachable speakers. It is going to be sold much cheaper and you will able to get the 37" for around £2200 - no good for me though because I want detachable speakers.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I went to some shops to take a look at things today. My impressions were that when displaying TV the LCDs seemed to look very "blocky" despite (or maybe because of) their high resolution. I also felt that 32" was too small and that if I spent that much money I'd be disappointed about that.

I saw an older Panasonic Plasma and tbh I thought that looked great when showing TV. I guess what is really holding me back is what it would look like if I connected up something via a DVI cable to it? Has anyone done this and if so what will it look like? Will it look decent when displaying MS Media Center 2005?

Any guidance appreciated, thanks.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You are comparing a TV to a Plasma Panel............
    I would suggest the LCD if you want a good TV and a PW6 for a HC display...

5. asm495

asm495
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not comparing a TV to a Plasma. I was just saying I was watching TV rather than something like a DVD. On the Plasma I thought it looked great but on LCD it seemed blocky for some reason.

I think I'm coming around to the idea of the Plasma, mainly for the price and size factors and really just wanting reassuring that PC input won't look crap on it. I think in the end I might just need to find a store which can demo that. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

I can understand that LCDs are better for PC but they are prohibitively expensive for a 42" model. The question is do plasmas suck completely or can they do a reasonably good job?

Thanks.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i meant an LVC TV to a plasma Panel not a PLasma TV... Plasma can be very very good Panny PHD6 for example or Pio MX series panels