Plasma panal vs Plasma TV, what would be best???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Twan1, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all,

In the past i've owned a few plasma panels and always been very happy. I've genrarlly always gone down the route of just the panals as tend to have them ISF's and use a scaler so the panels gave me more options.

Also I'd always plugged in a Sky digital box which i used as a tuner.

I'm now in the market to buy a new 42" Plasma screen for the bedroom. It will be mainly used for normal sky digital....possiby dvd/blu ray but would be happy with 720p and would not bother having this ISF's.

I see that the cost for Plasma TV's seem to be a lot more expensive than just the panels.

Would like to know peoples view on whether i would be better off going for a panel and freeview box compared to a 'more expensive' plasma tv with tuner built in.

thanks for your advice and views!!!

Oh i should say I'm lookin to spend as little as possible for a decent performance, and would usually go for models such as panasonic, pioneer and sony

2. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    forgot to mention i have alos been lookin at a few samsung models, never had any beofre but they seem good prices and get fairly good reviews..

3. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Dont touch a samsung especially if you are used to the good quality picture the pannys give even a 63" samsung I installed recently didnt look as good as my ph9 panny...

In my opinion the panels give a better picture than the tv versions - also they are smaller and neater and look better when wall mounted.

Stick with what you know - it will only bug you if you go for the tv

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You say you have always had panels in the past, why are you thinking of changing? You have Sky (getting it up to the bedroom isn't difficult). Blu-Ray will be good on the right panel. A "TV" plasma will get you Freeview, but why do you want it?

5. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi guys, the panels i've always had in the past have always been my main screen so wanted the flexabilty they brought.

i think i have a spare sky box somewhere so could use that but if i dont i was just gonna get an all in one option.

i have sky hd in my living room and can connect my new plasma as the 2nd out but the picture always seems a little grainy...

maybe lookin at getting the screen and some sort of remote link so i change channels up stairs would best...

poss pick up a panel fairly cheap these days, dont need the lastest one ut or anything

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You could run component fro skyHD to the 2nd screen and get a fab picture. All you need to do for remote control is add a coax aerial to the mix, and put a sky eye on it, total cost of IR link £20. Your only issue is the distance between the 2 screens, or rather, 2nd screen and sky box. YUV over cat5 might be the best option if it's more than about 5-7m, especially as the cat5 wire is so easy to hide, being small, unlike the kind of component cable you'd have to run.

7. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks MAW, must admit i'm gettin sold on the idea of what someone mentioned earlier and 'sticking to what i know' and going down the panel route though i wont have an amp or speakers so I's probably have to get the speakers that go with the screen.

I running fresh cables from the sky hd box downstairs to the bedroom would be abig no no. I do have an RF cable alreday fed into the bedroom so am i right in thinking if i connect that into the unused sky box (non subscription)i have i would have all the usual free channels.

This is the part I'm not sure of though so some light would be great.... If i wanted to plug the RF straight into the Plasma, do u usually get that on the board that comes as standard and would the picture not be that great?? Goes without saying that this would be the prefered way as theni could by the IR EYE link you mentioned so i can essentially change and watch all channels that i subscribe to downstairs in my bedroom.

Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure i go for the right option...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is no RF option, but a FTA box, you can buy a FTA card for £20, would give you some useful channels, and a good picture. RF would be total poop no matter what screen. Audio, the screen has an amp that will run almost any budget hi fi speakers. We often wire them to ceiling speakers to keep the minimalist look of the panel, or a pair of bookshelf jobs from Richer for £19.95 would work too, if there's somewhere to put them. This is why we love panels, so many options. The only thing you lose is RF, and it's not worth having anyway.

9. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Maw, sounds like the screen will be a fairly easy options after all, didn't realise that about the audio side of things!!!

As for the FTA box, just did a quick search and thats going way over my head! How is that different to me using an ordinary sky digital box like the one i have?

By the way, do you suggenst any particular panels??? Cheapest possible for a have decent one (my main viewing is down stairs on a Pio 50MXE1 & Panny AE10000E PJ) so i dont need the latest full spec version just to watch a bit of sky etc...