Plasma over LCD

Rookies

Just want a quick answer

Why is Plasma better than LCD?

chrisuk01

Novice Member
from what ive read, there isnt much in it in the lower sizes, but from like 40" plasma is better. is the general consensus, sorry cant really give any reasons

Kevo

Was visiting the 'Sky Festival' in Manchester today and at the main centre in Albert Square ('The Sky Hub') they're demonstrating Sky HD on several Sony Bravia LCDs, including the new 'X series'.

It has to be one of the most unimperssive HD demos I have ever seen :thumbsdow

On returning home to my own Sky HD set up (Pan plasma) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE :smashin:

Nuff said

Rookies

Kevo said:
Was visiting the 'Sky Festival' in Manchester today and at the main centre in Albert Square ('The Sky Hub') they're demonstrating Sky HD on several Sony Bravia LCDs, including the new 'X series'.

It has to be one of the most unimperssive HD demos I have ever seen :thumbsdow

On returning home to my own Sky HD set up (Pan plasma) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE :smashin:

Nuff said

Which pan plasma you have?

stevedster

Novice Member
phillfyspoon said:
For video material I have no doubt plasma has more strenghs

Agreed, for displaying video plasma is king. Better deeper colours, a more natural look. For other applications such as PC's I believe LCD's are better.

J

javaman

For PC I rather use 19"+ LCD monitor.

If I ever connect PC to my plasma I do this only to watch movies. Usually movies have lower resolution than PC/plasma so PC needs to upscale it so again image becomes less sharp (even on LCD). And again plasma wins.

MJB

Standard Member
Picked up on my travels:
LCD TV Advantages:

• Good for still images such as computer display.

• Quality units have good brightness levels.

• Low operating cost per hour.

• Long Life. Expect 30 to 50,000 hours bulb life according to Sharp (Please note that the picture can fade over time on a LCD TV. I would expect prime performance to last closer to 20 to 30,000 hours maximum (13 years at 6 hours per day). Expect substantially less on a no name.

LCD TV disadvantages:

• One problem with LCD TV screens is that they have an inherent delay problem. This is something that cannot be overcome. " It is the nature of the beast" When a fast moving object moves across a LCD screen the delay of LCD technology causes "artifacting" Basically there are trails or blockiness of the image since the screen cannot keep up. There are newer LCD panels that have lower m/s (millisecond) times but there still is a delay. The good news is that with a good name brand LCD TV the artifacting is minimal and really wont be noticeable until you get a screen over 30 or 35 inches. At that point the delays will be noticeable and in some cases extremely annoying. Expect severe artifacting on "no name" units to the point of making the tv basically unwatchable.

• Black levels: A LCD display has a backlight which shines through the LCD panels. The panels allow or block light depending on what is required to produce an image or a color. Most, if not all, LCD TV’s tend to have difficulty going fully "black". Blacks tend to have a very, very dark grey. This is especially true on no name units.

• Field Of Vision: Even the best LCD TV has field of vision problems. When you look straight on the picture looks great, as you move to either side the picture quality diminishes and eventually disappears. Some LCD TV makers claim up to 170 degree field of view. This is a complete lie. To quote one major manufacturer "well it doesn't mean you have a great picture for 170 degrees, but you do have a picture". Realistically a good LCD TV such as a Sharp Aquos will have a 90 degree (45 each side) usable picture.

• Single Usage: There are many LCD screens on the market but very few have good video processing. If an LCD screen is made as a computer monitor, it is usually very poor as a video display. If you are planning to use the unit as a TV, do not buy a computer monitor with a tuner upgrade. For dual purpose, buy a LCD TV with a computer input, not a computer screen with a tuner.

• Unbelievable amounts of no name junk units on market. Stick to name brands.

• Cheaper no name LCD TV’s have very poor picture quality and generally poor video performance.

• Pixel failure: This can be a problem with no name LCD screens. All the major brands have pixel policies which may allow one or two dead pixels. These are not noticeable unless you are right in front of the screen. A 20 inch LCD screen has over 300,000 pixels. So one or two dead could not be seen. No name LCD screens have extremely poor policies which can allow higher then 10%. This would make the unit unwatchable.

• Digital looking picture: Many LCD screens tend to have a "digital look" to the image and therefore don't seem to reproduce colors naturally.

Plasma TV Screen Advantages:

• Long life: the average name brand plasma TV will last 30 to 50,000 hours to half like ( brightness is 50% of original, it will still be 2 to 3 times brighter then a regular TV) This is around 20 years at 6 hours per day. Expect substantially less on a no name.

• Field of vision: A plasma screen TV has a field of vision of almost 180 degrees without loss of picture quality. From any angle you will have a great picture.

• Brightness: Plasma screens are very bright. 4 to 5 times brighter then an average TV.

• Great contrast: The last two generations ( two years or so ) of name brand Plasma screens have great contrast ratios. Look for a rating of 1000 to 1 or more Please note: certain manufacturers claim levels of 3 or 4000 to 1. That is a false rating and is achieved by using non standard measurement methods.

• Low operating cost: A named brand plasma is cheap to operate due to long life with virtually no maintenance (No you cannot recharge a plasma, and they don't leak gas). The cost of a nice EDTV 42 inch is well below 3 k and a 50 inch is around 5k. 60 inch plus are still highly priced per inch. This is substantially less then a LCD TV. 42 inch plasma TV screens cost almost half of a 40 inch LCD.

• Instantaneous picture response: There is virtually no delay in any name brand plasma and therefore no artifacting that is experienced on LCD screens.

• Natural looking picture: A plasma screen reproduces a picture in a similar manner to a standard TV. Name brand plasma TV colors tend to be natural looking and more accurate. Mo names can tend to be weak or soft on colors.

Plasma TV Screen Disadvantages:

• Image retention: Plasma screens can suffer image retention (burn in) if a still image is left on the display for a extended period of time. For example, you would not want to use a plasma screen for a computer display constantly. If you were to use a Plasma TV for Video Display and occasional use it for computer, burn in would not be a factor. Also if you were to leave the plasma TV screen on a station such as CNBC, which has constant ticker tape across the bottom, for 24 hours a day, there would be noticeable burn in when you switched to a different channel. If by error you were to burn your screen, proper name brand plasma screens do have a "white flash" utility which eliminates the burn; however it will shorten the life of the plasma. If your primary use of the plasma screen is for TV viewing and DVD, image retention will not be a factor.

• Size: Plasma screens are not available below 37 inches. There were some 32 inch units available but have been discontinued. Also 60 inch and above can be very pricey but prices are falling.

• Many no name junk units on market. Stick to name brands.

• Pixel failure: This can be a problem with no name plasma screens. All the major brands have pixel policies which may allow one or two dead pixels. These are not noticeable unless you are right in front of the screen. A 50 inch screen has over 983,000 pixels. So one or two dead could not be seen. No name plasma screens have extremely poor policies which can allow higher then 10%. This would make the unit unwatchable. If the plasma screen has a orbiter function, this will greatly reduce the chance of pixel failure. We have sold tens of thousands of Plasma TV screens and can count the number of units which we have had pixel problems with on one hand. It should be noted we do not sell no name units.

• Early models had poor contrast. The first generation plasma TV screens had poor contrast and brightness. Do not buy a used plasma screen from an online auction such as eBay. The units that have been out for the last two years outperform the older units by miles.
Most "Plasma V LCD" sites have very similar information. ( Some More To View )

Cyril

Novice Member
There are a couple of exceptions to the above.

Modern Fujitsu General panels have close to zero burn in or screen retention.

Also a 2nd hand Fujitsu xha40 or xha30 series is likely to outperform 95% of modern plasma TVs. Sadly I've never seen one going cheap on Ebay or anywhere 2nd hand.

LCD also has an advantage if used in extremely bright areas, e.g. a sunny conservatory.

If you want bigger than 65", then you have to go for plasma, which is available in 71",80" ,102" and 103" sizes.

TarMoo

There are a lot of happy LCD owners, but I suspect that owners of top plasma screens would be unhappy with the poorer picture quality of LCDs. I certainly would not swap my PHD8 for a Sony "X" Series LCD. Once you have become used to the quality of a good plasma then you become far more sensitive to the imperfactions of images on other screens.

Kevo

rasputin said:
Once you have become used to the quality of a good plasma then you become far more sensitive to the imperfactions of images on other screens.
Good point, totally true and one I could vouch for, neve rmore so than yesterday at the 'Sky Festival' I mentioned before where a lot of people were impressed with the HD PQ on the Bravias.

Trending threads

Top Bottom