1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma out, RPTV in!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eamann, Oct 5, 2003.

1. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had made up my mind to opt for the new Pioneer. Then...

Yesterday I brought the family to a high-street shop to convince them that a plasma was the best solution compared to the other options. To my astonsihment I found myself outvoted! My wife and teenage daughter thought that the plasmas in the shop (Sony, Philips...) did not give a noticeably better picture than the Thomson or Toshiba rear-projection TV's, certainly not given the enormous price difference.

They argue that it is better to spend 2.500 euros (we live in Belgium) on a RPTV and then in 5 years' time buy a new up-to-date TV (2metres wide, 1cm thick?) rather than be stuck with a 7000 euros aging plasma.

So I am "emigrating" to the forum on RPTV's.

Before doing so, I would like to thank all those experts out there who take the time to reply to questions and give advice. A special word of thanks to Joe from the Media Factory whose contributions on the new Pioneer I appreciated in particular.

Eamann

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You better put a thread in the CRT/Rear projection forum.

btw, you can buy a Toshiba 51" RP for £1340, and a 57" for £1700. New models are the xx36xx range
    I have to agree with you regarding Plasma- excessivly overpriced, and sub-quality picture quality (for the price), a well sorted RP will exceed a Plasma's picture quality (although RP's need tweaking to look their very best)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nathan is well known here for his heretical stance!! We tolerate him though, for balance. I don't feel you should dismiss plasma after looking at 2 that most of us would't have bothered to look at in the 1st place. You'll find the Pioneer a league ahead.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    MAW has a valid point here - the Philips is likely to be the older 9964 which is nothing compared to the 9965 (launched a couple of months ago) and the Sony is, well let's just say me and Sony aren't best of friends!! Also, both plasmas were ALiS panels which might also make a difference! Show 'em a Panny and a Pio then let 'em vote...