1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or Widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ziggy, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't seem to make my mind up which way to go ?

I originally asked for help on 36 inch widescreen CRT?

Since joining these forums i have seen some of the set ups (photos etc ) of peoples kit,screens etc etc

I am moving house soon and my next living room is 13 feet x 12 feet with a bay, which is much smaller than my present one.

I have seen some plasmas hanging over the top of fireplaces (where mirrors or paintings should be ) and i think they look stunning and tidy too.

We very rarely used our fire at this house (probably a couple of times in the height of the winter) as we have central heating.

I was prepared to spend up to £2000 on a widescreen TV, but reading some of the comments about plasmas, the budget ones (Samsung,LG) around £2500 and below are not worth the money.

Is it worth paying the extra money for a Toshiba or a Panasonic.

It,s a huge ammount of money to lay out and i would rather pay that little bit extra if the quality/difference is that much better.

I know that some of the Plasmas come without speakers/stands/cables/ and scart sockets ?

I have (what i think) is a good enough cinema sound system for now

So

a) Do i go for a budget plasma, better make plasma, or a standard widescreen TV ?

b) Will my cinema sound system just plug into any plasma (even a cheap one )

c) If i buy a plasma, will hanging it above the fireplace
    1) Give the wife and i neck ache
    2) Will it get damaged from the odd occasion that the fire might be turned on
    3) Rip the plaster and decor off the wall, due to its weight ?

d) Are there enough scarts/sockets to plug in a DVD player/Sky digital/Games console/Home cinema sound etc etc (as i see on some of the spec's, that some plasmas don't have scart sockets)

Talk about confused Geeeeesh

Its a lot of money and i don't want to make an expensive mistake

Please Please help

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

2. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In answer to your questions:

a) Do go for a plasma. Do pay more and go for the Panasonic or Panasonic clone (Toshiba). If you are happy with getting a 36” TV then you could get a 37” Panny plasma for closer to the £2.5k mark. However you may find that this is to small, I would recommend the 42” version. I have a similar size lounge to you and I think that the 42” Panasonic is just about the right size and for me a 36” CRT is out of the question as this would take up far too much room.

b) Depends what you mean by sound system, the plasma is a screen only all you would need to plug into it are the picture sources not sound.

c) 1) Depends how high your fireplace is and your viewing distance. Mine is about 4 ½ feet off the ground, and I’m viewing it from a distance of 12’. Initially the screen felt high, but after half an hour of watching you completely adjust, I really like it at this height and it does give you more of a cinema feel to your viewing. This does not give me or my wife any neck aches – try it out yourself, cut a piece of card the size of the plasma and stick it on the wall. 2) According to reports that I have read it can only do the screen damage if there is significant heat radiating past the plasma when it is on. A good way that I have heard of to test if there is too much heat is to stick a candle where the screen would be and if it melts then it’s too hot to have the plasma running. 3) You need to have a brick wall to bolt the screen onto, the only damage that should be caused is the 4 16mm holes that you will have to drill into it.

d) There may not be enough sockets to plug all your equipment into. Firstly note that the Panny and Toshiba do not have scart sockets on them. Ideally you would connect your equipment as follows:

DVD Player – Component inputs (this is provided that your DVD player can output component)

Sky Digital – VGA input (this gives the best quality) via a JS RGB (Scart) to VGA converter.

Games Console via the svideo/composite input.

In conclusion definitely go for a Panny/Toshiba plasma but bear in mind that you will need to spend more money on wall mounts (£160), good quality VGA, RBG scart, S-video cables, the JS RGB to VGA (£125)

Hope this answers your questions

Mark

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Another view - look at the range of Plasma TVs marketed by Hitachi which have received excellent reviews. These come in 32 and 42 inch sizes and are easier to connect too as they have an AV box which acts as a Tuner and connector box for other equipment. Wall mounting is realtively easy with the gain of only a power lead and umblical cable to hide.

At this sort of money go and look at demonstration equipment and chose one you like. Most users here have got Panansonic or Pioneer equipment as they have been on sale for longer. Most Hitachi owners seem very happy with their purchases.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, it's worth paying the extra for the Panasonic etc. If you take the Panasonic screen, over it in clingfilm, then you'd get a comparible picture to the lesser plasma screens. Essentially, if you can go the extra mile for the Panasonic, it's well worth it.

As for a 36" TV, they're still far too bulky for my liking.

There's thread about mounting plasmas, and you can certainly put them above a fire - but you've got to check how to do this.

As for no SCARTS, it depends on what you're connecting to your screen as to what interfaces you'll require. A standard VCR can go direct, but digital TV may require an interface. See my website for more details.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hi

It's worth remembering that a 37" Plasma is quite a bit bigger than a 36" CRT.

The plasma measurement is the true diagonal measurement of the viewable area, whereas a 36" CRT is generally the diagonal measurement of the glass *including* the bits behind the fascia that you cannot see.

Steve

6. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dr Sim,

Do you mean Panasonic, Pioneer & Fujitsu being worth the extra money?

Dave

7. Mats1

Mats1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not buy the Panasonic due to their Flicker, the picture is not stable. Don't know if the others don't see it but I do. I've chosen the Samsung PS42P2SB over the Panny. The Panny has sharper menues and so I guess it would be better for PC but for me it's not imprtant. The TV/DVD picture however is stable, nothing flickers and there are no fans. I live in Switzerland and Hitachis'/Toshibas are not very wide spread overhere. Most people get a Panasonic or Samsung. I haven't got it yet, it's on backorder.