1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or RPTV?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeTV, Nov 8, 2003.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Excuse my silly question, but a friend of mine is considering purchasing a widescreen TV, and I naturally suggested a plasma. But surprisingly, he said that RPTV's are now preferred, and mentioned the short lifespan of plasmas, and the smaller footprint of RPTV's (compared to early models). So what is the current thinking - are plasmas still the best, technology wise, or are RPTV's better these days? He's thinking about a 40" model. What are the factors to consider? Picture quality, longevity, connectivity, etc.? Are there other alternatives - DLP/LCD/CRT/Plasma.

Is there any consensus - or does it just depend on individual preferences?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    In my opinion Plasma, CRT or LCD.... RPTV is DEAD!

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think if you want bigger screen size for your money go with a projector or maybe RPTV, if you want the best picture quality I think it still has to be plasma - not yet seen a RPTV or LCD I like the picture on.

When I was looking (admitedly about a year ago now) even the newer "high quality" RPTV's were no where near as good picture quality as a decent plasma, hence I went for the plasma. If I had a bigger room I would have probably gone for a projector but overall I am now very glad I went with a plasma.

However, I suspect someone will be along in a minute with a totally different point of view.... ;)

4. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    MikeTV, I previously owned a Toshiba rear pro set which won several awards and I was very happy with it...at the time (a couple of years ago). My only real gripes were the huge chunk of space a 40" set took up in the living room and the limited viewing angles.....

Things have moved on a lot recently, I now have a 30" Philips LCD and would never consider going back to the rear pro route.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks for all the opinions!

Keep 'em coming!

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of the problems associated with RPTV's, such as blurry pictures and poor contrast, are because many opinions of these tv's are based on how they look on the shop floor, where they are usually very badly set up.

I recently saw one of the new Toshiba progressive scan capable RPTV's being fed a progressive signal from a Sony 9000ES, (this was in a friends house in dim lighting, and with the set properly set up) and the picture quality was breathtaking.

I can't stress enough the need to see these sets in a proper setup. The difference between how they look in Dixons and how they look in a proper home theatre environment is dramatic to say the least.

Both formats (plasma and rear projection) have their strengths and weaknesses, but I can say that if your friend buys a rear projection tv, and has it set up properly, then the resulting performance will leave very little to be desired.

7. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I hear what you are saying - being an owner of a NTSC HDTV RPTV (is that enough acronyms for one sentence? :). A good CRT projector based system should give awesome film playback.

On the other hand, I can see the appeal of plasmas too. I'm not sure what I would choose myself if I needed to replace my TV, in the UK, with a 40" screen. Above 50", I think the CRT's probably have it.