1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tenaka, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Tenaka

Tenaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some advice. Looking to buy my first 42" TV.

I am still undecided as to a Plasma or a RPTV.

I was thinking of the Sony KF42SX300 (can't see any reviews) which I can get for £1,899.99 including the nice stand. Is this the best RPTV available at the moment?

As for plasma I was considering the Hitachi 42PD5200, Panasonic TH42PW6B or the TH42PE30, but by the time I buy the stand and get any other bits its around £2600 to get fully set up.

Are plasma display better than rear projection or just different?

Will I notice the lip sync plasma issue?

Also HD is not really an issue for me as I can't get sky anyway only Telewest.

Any advice or experience with this issues would be really appreciated.

Ten

2. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i had the same dillema as you before xmas. is it gona be rear proj or plasma
    money being a big part of the decision as well(and wife) i personaly found that to get the best picture on a rear proj you need to be in a dark room and roughly central to the tv.example wife gets up to get you a beer whilst eastenders is on she will completely lose the picture of the tv until she gets back in focus and central .having said that the picture on rear proj has got a lot better.my mate just brought a dlp lg rear pro good picture but (dlp/lcd rear pro models still bulky)veiwing angles still a bit limited but cheaper than plasma

plasma are a lot brighter(dont need your curtains closed 24/7) more expensive(a lot of people on the forums dont favour the cheaper makes dawoo.techwood,sky,etc,)look sexier and far more pleasing to the other half
    the plasmas that are available now are superb (panny,pioneer.hitachi)worth waiting extra few months to get the money to get one

if you want just a replacment for a crt thats family friendly then get the 42pe30(i did its superb £3000 pounds from john lewis price matched sound and vision)
    i run through it sky plus xbox dvd (even backup up dvds look crisp)
    go down to your local john lewis they have all the pioneers hitachis panasonics there pic one that suits you just rember to price match and get your free 5 year guarante

if your after a bit more the go for the pionner or the hd( high defanition )panasonic models quite a lot of a debate going on the forums at the moment regarding this issue .expect to pay more forthe hd models

and do a good search on these forums :smashin:

i

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem with plasma is that it costs more by the time you make it suitable for standard tv use. If you already have a really hot system, plasma neednt be so costly (such as the panny pwd6). If you can afford it though, I feel plasma makes a much more suitable tv replacement.... if that is all you ever intend it to be, the the panny pe30 is spot on.

ad

4. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must agree with the previous post. I've just viewed a 42 pe30 & it was great. Seemed sharper than the spanking new Philips pixel plus 2 plasma.

I've ordered mine from JL (price matched) you just have to find a store that has them in so JL will price match.

I now have to see what DVD recorder I need :laugh:

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Only ever saw one rptv that I would have contemplated buying. Now that may well be because it was the only one I've ever seen that appeared to be set up properly. At their best, they have a real "cinema" feel to the image that other types of screens do not match. However, whilst this is great when you're watching films, it always seems to look a little strange to me when watching "normal" tv progs.

Most shops with them on display have really poor images on them and I can't believe that anyone seeing one would consider buying one. I personally don't like the viewing angle on them and don't like the image on them in anything other than a darkened room. This is just my humble opinion though as I know there are very many satisfied RPTV owners. As with any screen, try and see what you're interested in properly set up and then judge.

6. Dr Rott

Dr Rott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tenaka, I saw Sonys KF42SX300 in Powerhouse today whilst browsing with no intent to buy and ended up purchasing one!
    I have never seen picture quality like it from a rear projection TV and i truly thought it was a good plasma set. Viewing angles are far greater than any other models i have seen.
    It comes on tuesday evening so when i've fiddled with it for a bit i'll let you know what i think.

7. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to replace my Sony CRT rear projection with a plasma, probably Hitachi. I've had the Sony for over three years and I liked it at first but after having a home demo of a Samsung plasma I hate it now. The convergence is never perfect (even after tweaking it in the service menus) and like someone else wrote you have to be right in front of a rear-pro to get a bright picture. Standing up or a little to the side and it's dark.
    Also compared to a plasma the rear pro flickers a lot. Mine is 50Hz and it's really noticeable. A plasma doesn't flicker anywhere nearly as much. The two side by side was quite a contrast, although my old rear-pro did give a more "film like" picture - probably softer but not as many digital artifacts .. or perhaps it was the plasma with a higher resolution and you could see the artifacts from the DVD ?

One thing to be wary about Sony rear projeciton TVs: The S-video input is usually PAL only. I had to get my soldering iron out to make mine handle NTSC via S-video.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This question always attracts a lot of comments from both camps....I looked at a load of plasmas when I was in the market for a bigger screen,as well as loads of RPTV's....I eventually bought a Toshiba RPTV,and really did think it had the best RPTV picture quality as compared to Sony and others.
    As to the 50Hz/100hz question,go for a 100hz set,as the picture is much more stable,if you're looking to an RPTV.

Be prepared to spend a bit of time getting the picture right,as a few people have already said,as the default settings may look ok in a shop,but will burn your eyes out at home!

As for plasmas in the lower price ranges...this is what swayed me towards RPTVs....I found them lacking in contrast and detail,with lots of smear and just generally poor,whereas the much more expensive models were genuinely excellent,but more than I was prepared to pay for an evolving technology with model changes every few months.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Of course it is that same evolution which now means that the budget panasonic does not adhere to the description you give of budget plasma....

ad

10. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    www.sagem.com.

Have a look at the 50" DLP rear projection TV. Price qouted £2,800 plus £350 for the stand. All the sockets you will need and highly rated. :smashin: