1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Or Projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stellavision, Oct 4, 2003.

?
  1. Plasma

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Projector

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    After getting my first widescreen a few months ago (Hitachi 32PD3000) I have upgradeitis and I am wanting to go bigger.
    An upgrade is'nt particularly practical at the moment, but if it was I am torn between a larger plasma or a projector.
    What do you guys consider to be the best option for home cinema?
    I don't have a dedicated room, only a living room.:(

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Voted. ;-)

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In pure Cinematic terms from what I have seen the best picture quality available by some distance is a Barco CRT projector, projecting its image onto a seven foot screen (scaled by HTPC). However, for this sort of set up you really need a dedicated room - the PJ itself is roughly half the size of a double bed (quick eye measurement to confirm from memory!). On top of dedicated room, they would also be considered quite high maintenance.

In fact the set up that I saw this in is in a garage that has been converted for HC and the results were phoneminal. For watching movies, recreating the Cinema at home, then there is currently no better method than CRT PJ IMHO.

The situation that I am currently dicates that theres no way to have a dedicated room, hence Plasma for me represnt the best current option and may do for some time. So although I will look to up grade the panel at some point (either imminently or March next year), I dont think Ill be in a position to opt for what I consider the best Home Cinema display choice until my room scenario changes, although I would like to ! Given your scenrio (as its like mine), I think a vote for Plasma will be my choice, though if 'room' circumstances were different, my voting would most deifnatley be for a PJ (CRT - until I have seen better).

NB - There is also the newer DPL's such as the Immerive 'Virtuoso', lots of knoweldgable folk seem to talk very highly of it. If PQ is as good as reports I have heard then this will cut down on the maintenance aspect of a PJ set up as it is a fixed pixel display, require less space than a CRT PJ - making it more practical, so may be an option for folks in our position ??.

4. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have both PJ is great for movies footy
    plasma for corry st QVC & murder she wrote
    what do i watch ? hold on i'll ask the wife
    P@T

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJ if you have a completely dark room, plasma if it's in a living room with normal light during the daytime, IMHO. So, can't vote!

6. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    as you say u have just got a lving room to have it in then go for a wall mounted plasma screen i reckon

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Have a plasma and love it,if i had a PJ,girlfriend wouldn't let me up pub to watch footie on there PJ.:(