Plasma or Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SinisterRocket, Dec 28, 2003.

1. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am trying to decide wither to get a plasma or a projector. Was thinking of getting a hitachi 42 inch 500e or a Z2 projector. If i get the projector it leaves me enough to get a nice upgrade for a dvd/amp/speaker package. link to dvd package

I think i would prefer the projector but am concerned because i smoke. The projector would be mounted on the roof in the living room, the only room i smoke in. How much damage would smoking cause to a Z2 projector, ive heard they can be very senistive to dust etc.

2. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi SinisterRocket

When I first decided to go BIG screen I looked at a few plasmas. It soon became apparent that spending the £3K+ didnt really warrant the extra few inches I'd gain over my present pretty large telly. I also came to the conclusion that I would have to spend a hell of a lot more for PQ that I could live with. The only options were high resolution displays which were way out of my price range.

IMO most of the cheaper plasmas looked washed out compared to CRT so I took the PJ plunge as I got far more inches per buck along with PQ I could easily live with.

My new Z2 has not disapointed yet, but it is used purely for DVD and eventually a few games.

I wouldent use the PJ for everyday TV viewing so I guess a lot depends on what you intend to view. If its just movies and perhaps gaming I would personaly recommend a PJ.

As far as smoking, thats a big no no :nono: Im sure this would eventually do damage that would be very hard to rectify. Its the garden for you I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Chipster.

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's six of one half a dozen of the other!

The projector will give you a far more cinematic image than any plasma, but isn't as convenient as a plasma due to the fact that to obtain the best results your room has to be quite dark.

However the plasma is more ideal for viewing in all situations but does not give the impact that a 7ft screen does.

4. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I smoke like a chimney in my projector room. You just have to keep the lense clean and check the air filter more often.

And we (me and wife) watched sky digital for approx 6 hours a night on ours without a hitch.

Anyway, heres some things to consider

Projector Pro's

* The big picture is stunning, stand up and watch star wars pod race and see how long you last before falling over.

* Games look great too and kids will love driving a car down a 7 foot road at 200mph using Xbox/PS2

Cons:

* Your mates will move in.

* Neighbours and kids on the street gather outside your house more often than the next house.

* Daytime viewing can be washed out unless you can black out the room as much as possible (not hard to do, just get blackout material sewn into your curtains)

* You got kids...PJ needs to be roof mounted unless you want finger prints where the light comes from.

* Some people suffer from projector displays (I personally don't and dont know anybody that does but others can get headaces, go demo a unit first.)

* You can use it to replace a TV like I did but keep in mind that bulbs need to be replaced and can be costly.

* Need decent sound system to match the big picture.

In my opinion I wouldnt get a plasma after having a projector and i've seen a fair share of plasmas but each to their own.

Infact my next house has to be projector capable else i'm not interested :)

Anim

Edit: Dont forget to factor in screen cost + ceiling mounting kit + a day or 2 to finetune the projector.

5. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go demo some projectors this week. Dont expect it to be a problem, my mate has an hs10 and i love watching films on it. Love the fact that i will be able to upgrade my sound system if i go for a projector over plasma and the thought of playing the xbox in pro scan on a 7 foot screen rocks. Will not be buying a screen to start with. Will just paint the wall. Cant wait to get this set up and running. Can see me taking a holiday when its done to sit and enjoy. Dont mind the cost of bulbs sounds better than being woried about screen burn. Now im going to sit back have a :smoke: and dream of a 7 foot screen :laugh:

6. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    As your not running a HTPC on this kit make sure that sky/dvd/vhs/xbox etc.. can all be connected through your amp and output via component or DVI.

Composite signal is usualy pants and should be avoided, Svideo is okish but still pants :) Component/DVI/DSub is great.

Decent quality leads can be costly especially when going upto a ceiling mount, A good 2 meter lead can cost £30 so shop around.

Oh, Xbox can provide a progressive scan picture if using the correct HDTV leads (think it has to be a modded if its a UK model)

As for projecting onto a wall, i hope thats just a budget issue as you will be losing so much picture quality.

One last thing. A lot of people recommend getting the Avia Home Cinima DVD for calibration of the pj. (£30)

Anyway, a Z2 and that 7.1 amp makes me oh so jelous!!!

Sorry to sound expensive on ya but I wasted so much more money myself by just getting the projector then trying to fit all my gear into it. I have enough incorrect parts to open a small shop!

Anim

7. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I faced the same dilemma, and have to say after fitting a 500e the other day for a friend, I was so happy to go home to my hs20.

Different league in my opinion.

PIcture quality is easily good enough to become unnoticable and I think the experience is better than that of a plasma which doesn't feel as natural.

I am tempted to buy a plasma to put behind my current screen to allow my friends to watch by day without darkening the room (south facing), but the sony is that bright thatg I can almost getg away with it.

For the £4000 or so it would cost me for a 434 (the only one I would buy at the mo) I can getg 20 replacement bulbs, so I know I have made the right choice for now.

The best part of it is how much room it frees up since it occupies zero useful physical space and it always amazes the guests.

and btw, I am one of those people who gets headaches from watching, and major motion sickness from playing halo. If its a problem, you simply put on a second light in the room and reduce the screen size to less than 8ft wide! :D

8. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a 43" plasma for a year or so and have no regrets whatsoever. BUT, here I am on the projector forums researching the best way to achieve the BIG picture. So in my case it has to be plasma by day projector by night!

Matt.