1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma or projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kicker31, Dec 5, 2003.

1. kicker31

kicker31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i was going to buy a 42inch plasma, but after hearing all the tales about screen burn etc, i am now tempted to keep my 32inch panasonic tv and get a projector and screen, my question is i have got 2 grand to buy projector and screen, for this price will it get me something descent i can sit and watch and be proud of?? what is picture quality like on some of your systems ?? is it better than a plasma??
    any help appreciated..
    :)

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think the answer is yes! Go for a projector.

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck on movies through a projector than a Plasma.

There are plenty to choose from and the best way to decide is to get demos.

The current darling of the group in your price range is the Z2. Coming in at under £1500 it has hires 16:9 LCD panels and really is stunning for it's price. (try Ivojo, nexnix or av-sales all offer dead pixel checks and good service.)

It is also very quiet and if you don't want to ceiling mount has a very handy lens shift to make using it from a table a cinch.

LCD is a safe route to take, but won't give you the blackest blacks. You need DLP for that and some people suffer from a rainbow affect that can really annoy your viewing if you do.

I'm not sure what DLPs are in your price range, the cheaper the DLPs tend to have slower colour wheels making rainbows more likely. Although rainbowing is supposedly quite rare.

Screens can be all sorts of prices, but I can recommend the standard matt white ones from www.drhscreens.co.uk an 8ft manual widescreen screen from them will set you back less than £180 delivered.

Cheers
    Marc

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Oh, the source for your picture is more important on a Projector than a Plasma, he bigger you make an image the more it will show fault.

A DVD player with component output is a must, but even better is DVI or VGA input from a PC or one of the newer DVD players that output DVI.

Samsung's HD935 does DVI, looks great and costs about £175 delivered. More DVI players should be appearing here soon.

There are some really cheap DVI players available in Europe and Aisa (Brainwave V880, Momitsu V880 are examples) that give stunning pictures for around £100 but they are seem to be built out of paper and a little unreliable plus you need to import one...

Cheers
    Marc

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you wouldn't get much of a plasma for £2k so from a financial perspective alone, a PJ/screen would be the better option.

Go for it :smashin:

BTW, some excellent value to be had now in the for sale forum here - HS10s practically being given away :eek:

5. kicker31

kicker31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys, no i was going to spend upto 3000.00 on a plasma, either panasonic or hitachi, but just didnt want to spend 3000.00 and then have to worry about screen burn, but noticed in a lot of tv and video mags theres a lot of proj going for 1000 to 2000 and the mags where saying picture is excellent, the thought of watching a dvd on a screen 6ft wide sounds excellent

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    8ft - even better :smashin: