1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or Projector help me decide!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NikB, Oct 29, 2004.

1. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've been looking at buying a larger screen for some time now and only really ever considered plasma. However I went into Sevenoaks to take a look at some pictures and they showed me a Sharp DLP projector which looked very impressive. Unfortunately they seemed to not be big on plasmas and only briefly showed me a 42" Yamaha. I enquired about the Panny TH-42PW7B but they couldn't see the point in it as it's only got 480 lines when we currently broadcast in 625 lines which is something I'd never considered. Does it lose that much detail?

I was looking to replace my existing tv with a 42" plasma but with the projector option I can keep the 32" widescreen tv I have now and have a large screen (70"ish) coming down over it. However I think this may be too big in a 12' room and will it be a lot of hassle to setup? I will be connecting a freeview box, dvd player, xbox and gamecube. At the moment I'm not bothered about sky as don't watch that much tv.

So I really don't know what to do and the more I look at stuff the more confused I get. I have seen that the Panasonic TH-42PWD7 is coming out soon - would this be a better bet or even a Viera or Pioneer screen?

Sorry this post is all over the place but I'm confused.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL they would..... How much was the yamaha?
    PJ has advantages and disadvantages like any display...70" diagonal is a very small PJ screen 100" is the norm where abouts are you perhaps we can point you in the direction of some better dealers and perhaps help you make a more informed decision.... Also what is budget????

3. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm near Sheffield but also go to Bristol a lot. Was looking at less than £3k ideally.

4. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you have total light control in your room, then the projector option can be "feasible" but for that size of room, you're actually taking away the main advantage of front projection systems which is mainly HUGE DISPLAY SCREENS.

if you decide to go the FP route, then 60"-70" may be the biggest size ideally for you, you can still set it to a bigger size but you'll see more pixelization as you go bigger

most front projectors have only one set of connector of each type i.e. 1xComposite, 1xComponent, 1xVGA etc so you'll need some sort of video switcher...if you have like a mid-range to high-end A/V receivers, most of these can do this for you and some with video upconversion etc

hope this helps

5. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm actually looking to change my amp to a Denon 3805 at some point. If I do get one of these amps will it take care of connections into the plasma or do you still need one of the scart boxes as I'll need to connect a dvd player (component with progressive scan), freeview box, xbox and gamecube. I also have a VCR but am not too bothered about that.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    3805 with new cabkles for sonsoles and perhapa a different FV box will cover video to PLasma or PJ and Both if you want to go that route with a 42" PW6 under £1600 at AV-sales i think it is a bargain all you need to add is a mount........You might also like to consider the new PHD7 which will be available mid/late NOV £2.5k ish for a HD screen........... or you could go bonkers with a 50"????

7. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm quite tempted by the idea of the HD screen now. Just been to Sound & Vision and looked at several plasmas, have to say I was disappointed with the Panny PW7 as it looked worse than the PW6 next to it, though this could have been down to connections. They had a Pioneer 435(?) setup connected to a Pioneer 767(?) HDMI player and the picture was amazing. Though the thought of spending £700+ on a DVD player isn't a good one.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well there is dealer in Endiburgh and one in Kent who i know can demo Pio and PAnny HD screens....where would you rather go?

9. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ummm, both are miles away lol. Sound & Vision did say they'll have the HD screen in soon so I can view them.