Plasma or LED 46-50"

kpb88

Standard Member
I was wanting to get a 50" 2012 panasonic plasma either the ST50 or the GT50
but i heard about these IR problems and it put me off as i dont want to have to leave the tv running slides for hours after viewing to get rid of the ir.

I thought about getting maybe a 2013 led tv instead then but i dont think it will be as good as the plasmas as im looking to spend under £800 preferably.

How much of a problem is the IR and how noticable is it when watching tv. is it only a problem during the first 100 hours.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

audiphile76

Its not really that big a worry with Plasmas and IRs. I have had plasma now for 5 years and i have played at a stretch once upto 7 hours of FPS online playing on my PS3 and no serious IRs. What is important in plasmas is first few hundred hours at the start to let them settle down and then keep contrast and brightness at decent levels.

kpb88

Standard Member
right what about watching movies in 2.35:1 or say watching a few episodes of something like the wire in a row where its shot in 4:3

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
right what about watching movies in 2.35:1 or say watching a few episodes of something like the wire in a row where its shot in 4:3

If worried you could shuv the scrolling bars on. As long as you watch mixed content it shouldn't be a problem, I game for hours and watch films with bars, yeah you may get some IR (most you'll need to look for) but it goes quite quick.
Id say a good 90-95% of the IR on my set comes and goes without me ever seeing it.
Any IR I notice goes so doesn't bother me.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom