• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasma (or LCD)

Stevieboy_uk

Ok. I know this is a common question but I have been going round in circles for months and am still no closer to getting a new TV (not sure if I should post this in the LCD forum but wanted to know if any other Plasma owners had a similar problem).

I have had a Hitachi 32PD5200 Plasma for just over three years and it is a fantastic TV. The picture quality is amazing and it looks great but the screen size is not quite big enough.

I had set my heart on a Panasonic 37PX70PED but then the wife drops the bombshell that she hates the black styling of all new TV's (the Hitachi we have is silver).

Anyway, not wanting to be out done I heard that a new Panasonic was being released (the PX80 range) and was hoping that they may restyle them slightly and make the bezel a bit thinner. However, that was not to be.

And on top of that they had taken away the swivel stand!!!!

To cut a long story short, we were out and about the other day and my wife spotted the new Toshiba Regza LCD range with the ultra thin bezel so we went to have a look and to be honest, although the design of the screen looked great, the picture quality looked nothing like the Panasonic panel (or to be frank, as good as my three year old Hitachi).

The question is am I going to be dissapointed by going for the Toshiba? I have heard of a few issues with light bleed etc with the new range but is this a major problem? Is the picture quality bad due to it being in a showroom (the PX80 was in the same showroom but looked loads better)?

Any help would be gratefully received.:lease:

gEELOVER

I dont think this will help you at all, but have you thought of replacing your wife instead? I've heard of people not wanting TV because of the retention, blacks, 1080pv720p etc etc but never because of the colour of it.. as a woman she should know that blacks pretty much go with everything, It also make you look slimmer :D

Quality should come over cosmetics I say, I think you need to persuade her to go with quality of picture

Alot of screens are in black.. (although I have seen a white one by some v expensive make I cant remember)
Theres the Sony KDLV2000 which comes in silverish also bytheway, supposed to be a nice set but old now

Buy her a pair of shoes that will distract her from your buying a nice TV that is of quality rather than looks.

p.s. Have a look at the 80 series instead of 70 series as they are newer, I'm having to wait till June for 50" to arrive before I consider new TV :)

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Ok. I know this is a common question but I have been going round in circles for months and am still no closer to getting a new TV (not sure if I should post this in the LCD forum but wanted to know if any other Plasma owners had a similar problem).

I have had a Hitachi 32PD5200 Plasma for just over three years and it is a fantastic TV. The picture quality is amazing and it looks great but the screen size is not quite big enough.

I had set my heart on a Panasonic 37PX70PED but then the wife drops the bombshell that she hates the black styling of all new TV's (the Hitachi we have is silver).

Anyway, not wanting to be out done I heard that a new Panasonic was being released (the PX80 range) and was hoping that they may restyle them slightly and make the bezel a bit thinner. However, that was not to be.

And on top of that they had taken away the swivel stand!!!!

To cut a long story short, we were out and about the other day and my wife spotted the new Toshiba Regza LCD range with the ultra thin bezel so we went to have a look and to be honest, although the design of the screen looked great, the picture quality looked nothing like the Panasonic panel (or to be frank, as good as my three year old Hitachi).

The question is am I going to be dissapointed by going for the Toshiba?

Evidently.

I think they might still do the panny commercial screens in silver and the bezels are very thin but they tend to be best wall-mounted.

Stevieboy_uk

I dont think this will help you at all, but have you thought of replacing your wife instead? I've heard of people not wanting TV because of the retention, blacks, 1080pv720p etc etc but never because of the colour of it.. as a woman she should know that blacks pretty much go with everything, It also make you look slimmer :D

Quality should come over cosmetics I say, I think you need to persuade her to go with quality of picture

Alot of screens are in black.. (although I have seen a white one by some v expensive make I cant remember)
Theres the Sony KDLV2000 which comes in silverish also bytheway, supposed to be a nice set but old now

Buy her a pair of shoes that will distract her from your buying a nice TV that is of quality rather than looks.

p.s. Have a look at the 80 series instead of 70 series as they are newer, I'm having to wait till June for 50" to arrive before I consider new TV :)

Thanks for the advice but could be quite a costly solution. To be fair she normally just goes with the flow but to a degree I do agree with her with regards to the look of the set.

However, as you stated I would compromise and have the (IMO) superior image quality over the cosmetic apperance.

(by the way, the white one is probably the Philips Ambilight LCD which is aroung £2.5k).

audiphile76

Thanks for the advice but could be quite a costly solution. To be fair she normally just goes with the flow but to a degree I do agree with her with regards to the look of the set.

However, as you stated I would compromise and have the (IMO) superior image quality over the cosmetic apperance.

(by the way, the white one is probably the Philips Ambilight LCD which is aroung £2.5k).

Somebody kill me if i ever go for looks of a TV only when its in off mode rather than when its running:suicide:

Hillie

Audi, if you have a boss at home, that view might change. ;)

Stevie, bring your wife to a shop and let her have a look at the LG PG6000 range. It's a single glass sheet front and although there's a bezel, there's a silvery/grayish thing on the sides. Designwise it's a great looker, and I'm enjoying the picture quality every day. Smallest is 42 inch though!

audiphile76

Audi, if you have a boss at home, that view might change. ;)

lol...i know that. Sometimes, one has to show who is the boss(depending on certain situations). Fortunately my boss is very understanding towards me and i reciprocate likewise. So far no issues. :smashin:

Julie

My take on it is probably oversimplified but here you go.

Plasma panel if mainly for TV & movie viewing.
LCD if mainly for gaming &/or PC use.

BTW I spotted this TV Swivel in Ikea yesterday.

Stevieboy_uk

Somebody kill me if i ever go for looks of a TV only when its in off mode rather than when its running:suicide:

Not sure if that comment is directed at me but to be fair if you purchased a TV on the picture quality that you see in most retail outlets you are taking a big chance in any case.

With any of my purchases I alway do quite a bit of homework first and try to view the sets with a good source (not HD because as I said in my earlier post I only have a small amount of HD material ) and I prefer the image on a Plasma far more than an LCD (as does my wife).

As we only have a relatively small sitting (16 x 13) room the TV will stand out significantly so it needs to look good on and off.

Besides I want to keep the other half happy as she is letting me build a dedicated Cinema room in the loft in the new year!!!

By the way have you actually told her who's boss???????????????

audiphile76

Not sure if that comment is directed at me but to be fair if you purchased a TV on the picture quality that you see in most retail outlets you are taking a big chance in any case.

With any of my purchases I alway do quite a bit of homework first and try to view the sets with a good source (not HD because as I said in my earlier post I only have a small amount of HD material ) and I prefer the image on a Plasma far more than an LCD (as does my wife).

As we only have a relatively small sitting (16 x 13) room the TV will stand out significantly so it needs to look good on and off.

Besides I want to keep the other half happy as she is letting me build a dedicated Cinema room in the loft in the new year!!!

The comment was not directed to you, it was just a general statement. I used to have a 40V2000 and later decided to give it to my FIL and made my move to get a plasma 42PX80. Reason is exactly as yours that i watch more of SD and HD also looks good on plasmas.

If you still want to stick with LCD, its better to stay away from Tosh, but the expectations from Sony 4000 series is rather good, have you checked the 40E4000, it has white borders instead of black.

By the way have you actually told her who's boss???????????????
I havent stopped loving life yet, so the day i do, i might do that aswell :rotfl:

vipergrm

If you want looks then go for the PG 42PG6000 which can be had for around £650. It's a very good performer and has 4 HDMI slots ect. It is the best looking plasma on the market.

If you want the best performance at a good price then go for the Panasonic 37/42PX80.

Your wife is going to have to accept the fact that everything nowadays is black. It's the way the market is. Silver had it's turn :smashin:

Hillie

Well, Philips has this horrendously ugly, horrendously expensive LCD or Plasma which has a white box but an ambilight bezel around the panel (which was demoed with, amongst others, Nine Inch Nails live material with strong coloured lights and the bezel's lights totally did not match the screen's colors :)).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom