Plasma or LCD

A

ATaylor60987

I am in the market for a flat panel TV and could use some advice.

I am looking for 40" but may go a little bit bigger. I want to watch Freeview channels and let the kids play their Wi on it and have around £800 to spend.

Could use some advice on Plasma or LCD and any particular models that have proven to be a good buy.

Thanks

This will depend on your other requirements:
- Freeview channels are better on a plasma panel compared to LCD
- If you want hasle-free TV, LCD is better as there is no risk of image retentions especially coming from kids programs, games
- If your room is bright, LCDs are better
- If you have a very sensitive eye for quality, plasma might be better but if its not so, LCDs are good.
- Plasmas are usually softer, LCDs are brighter

Thanks.

Looks like it will need to be LCD. I can't get my head around the bewildering array of options though. I have always bought Sony because of the quality/ reliability but my budget wont run to an X model at this size. Would a "V" do the trick?

Cheers.

plasma has the issues with images being burnt into it. but this is supposed to clear in a week or so. Also, over time, the plasma ones might be supceptible to spotting. where a dot on the screen no longer works properly, resulting with just a black dot that is there permanently. I think LCD's just slightly lose there brightness over time.
google plasma vs lcd and there's a nice cnet review article about it.

plasma has the issues with images being burnt into it. but this is supposed to clear in a week or so. Also, over time, the plasma ones might be supceptible to spotting. where a dot on the screen no longer works properly, resulting with just a black dot that is there permanently. I think LCD's just slightly lose there brightness over time.
google plasma vs lcd and there's a nice cnet review article about it.

isnt it the other way around? LCD's get a pixel getting stuck, whereas plasma gradually lose contrast over time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom