• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasma or LCD

sam919

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

Im new to all this tv stuff!! In a nutshell should i get an LCD or Plasma, its not for gaming more for a home cinema set up rather than every day tv. What are the pros and cons of both, a rather big question i suppose but just looking for the basic opinion.

Thanks in advance :)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I suggest you search the forums a bit, as that is one of the most asked questions on this site and it has a tendency to annoy some people.
FWIW, I'd still go with plasma, but LCDs are getting better, rapidly.
You can't beat looking for yourself and seeing what you think :smashin:

philbot

Prominent Member
Plasma - LCDs are rubbish.

Sold my Panasonic 42PX60 a while ago so I could buy a new 50pz85 when then arrive, and bought a Samsung 32" to tide me over ( which will then go in the Kitchen ).

If you want the screen to go weird when you view it at an angle, or you want grey instead of black - go for LCD.

If you want decent picture quality go for a nice Panny or Pioneer plasma.

In fact if Panasonic don't hurry up I'm buying a Pioneer 5080XD

badbob

Banned
Plasma - LCDs are rubbish.

Blanket statement. LCD are a better option for x reasons, and plasma are better for y reasons. But projector are better for z reasons. Plasma is not the holy grail of displays, and neither are LCD or LCD/DLP/CRT front or rear projection. Each have pros and cons, and depending on the usage one may be better choice than the other, even if it doesn't have as good picture quality as another.

For movies, I'd choose a projector. 6 chip DLP. Then either a plasma or LCD for a everyday TV (swaying towards LCD if kids play consoles)

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
If projector is going to be too big or too much hassle and it's going to be for movie watching in a dimmed room, plasma would definitely be the best choice currently.

sam919

Standard Member
Thanks for your replies. I have been boring myself to death looking for an LCD, the panny lxd700 seems to get good reviews. I have just come home and went and had a look at some models in currys, without playing a computer game on them or taking in a DVD i was left with a descision between both types. I just wanted to know what one was best for different applications. The Pan PX80 in 37" will do the trick i think, dixons for just over 600 fat ones.

Thanks for the advice all

philbot

Prominent Member
Blanket statement. LCD are a better option for x reasons, and plasma are better for y reasons.

For movies, I'd choose a projector. 6 chip DLP. Then either a plasma or LCD for a everyday TV (swaying towards LCD if kids play consoles)

yes but he wants to watch movies and he wants plasma or lcd.

so the answer is plasma.

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom