Plasma or LCD?

Neil3000

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Toshiba 36" widescreen CRT and after 5 years and a new PS3 I'm thinking of upgrading. But should I go for a Plasma or an LCD?

What Hi-fi has been full of LCD this and that for months now leading me to believe that Plasma is on the way out.

I need the TV to work well with football (v-important), Formula 1, films, general SD telly and of course the PS3. I will be upgrading to Sky HD so the footie should mostly be in HD (except champions league?)

Please also feel free to recommend tellys; I'd like the new one to be 46" or bigger. I reckon I'll need at least 3 HDMI sockets.

As far as budget goes, I can "afford" to go up to £2.5k but I've seen lots of (apparently) decent tellys for £1100 to £1700 so I'm not sure if the extra money is really worth it. Maybe I should wait a little while until more 1080p plasmas come out?

Any advice is gratefully recieved regarding plasma vs lcd, what tellys are good or when to buy. Have a great sunday, it's lovely out there!

Cheers,

Neil.

As two of your main criteria are watching football and Formula 1, which are both fast moving, then plasma is the obvious choice. The slight motion response lag, which is inherent on most LCDs, will probably drive you crazy.

Something like the Panasonic 50PZ700 would seem to fit all your requirements, and should fall within your budget quite nicely.

Bob

Hang on just a bit longer - PZ700 is eagerly awaited, but then so to is the new Pioneer 8G range, which will be unveiled beginning of May in Italy, so these boards should be awash with plenty of discussion on the new 508 regular and Full HD panels.
Don't know what's to be inferred from "afford", but you're almost in the ballpark of the Fujitsu panels - reckoned to be the absolute dog's danglies.
Then again, you could opt for the Panny PH9 commercial panel for £1.5K depending on options. Less connections, no tuner, optional speakers (like Pioneer on their 507 currently), but considered a better image than the Veira (domestic TV) versions.

I own both and must admit that plasma is best for TV and films ( more natural image ) and LCD for games ( ps3 & 360 ). with a budget of £1700 there is no reason you cant get a Panasonic 42 inch plasma and a samsung 40inch lcd:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips so far. Sounds like Plasma is the way to go.

I had seen the Samsung PS50Q97HDX on Dabs for only £1150 which sounds fantastic. I saw a previous 50" Samsung got excellent reviews but not seen a review of this one yet or seen it in the shops.

I'd prefer to spend this kind of amount rather than dip into the savings too much - but then I don't want to waste £1150 on a crap telly when I should have spent more.

The Panasonic PZ700 is £2.5k for the 50" which would be right at the top of my budget range - Is it really worth more than double the price to go from 1080i to 1080p? To put that kind of money into perspective, it'd take me 4 months to save up a grand.

Edit: Oh, and I can't fit 2 tellys in my lounge! (But I like your thinking!)

Thanks again guys,

Neil.

The Panasonic PZ700 is £2.5k for the 50" which would be right at the top of my budget range - Is it really worth more than double the price to go from 1080i to 1080p? To put that kind of money into perspective, it'd take me 4 months to save up a grand.

Neil.

To be honest in my opinion no! If you are willing to drop your criteria to 2 HDMI inputs and 720p instead of 1080p resolution (which may not even be noticable at your normal viewing distance) the Panasonic PX70s may well fit the bill. if you get the opportunity go and have a "test drive" of a 50PX70.

Bob

If i went samsung, i`d deffo get a brand new model which has the ability to switch off the dreadful DNIE. Prob get a pana or pio. Fuji is meant to be good, but very stripped down, and, if like me, you will then have to budget for speakers and an HDMI/component equipped freeview box. (i will not buy sky). Which, if you want a 50 incher, will take you to nearer 4k !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom