Plasma or LCD

starpoint

Standard Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted this on the Plasma forum and so far all replies say "Plasma" - is there an objective view or is it just a case of plasma owners love Plasma and LCD owners love LCD?
" I am about to buy and on the basis of "expert" opinion from sales people, I was going to go for LCd ie Panny TX32LXD52. But have now seen Panny Plasma TH37PE5o and am now undecided as the pic was great. Appreciate the LCD is HD ready but I'm not really up for anything better than SD for some time. So which is best Plasma or LCD?"

Oh my. Is this debate still going on? And on?

If you like it buy it!

Jimmy

Maybe you've heard it all before but some of us are completely new to the argument - this will be my first non CRT purchase and I find it a confusing market - also I imagine as the technology improves the argument changes? One of the purposes of these forums is novices getting help from the more experienced but sorry if it bores you.

There was an article in a magazine I bought recently. Basically Plasma's offer a slightly better picture than LCDs but there are still minor concerns regarding screen burn( This is part of the reason why Sony have stopped making them. Also Lcd are reported to last slightly longer than Plasma. Plasma have a slightly better viewing angle. The impression I got was if you buying a 37 inch or under buy a LCD if you are buying 42 inch or over buy a Plasma.

I heard that today if you want a screen 37inches or below, get an LCD as the picture will be better on that. Above 37inches, get a Plasma.

I was going to get a plasma but because i want to connect my PC to my screen, it is very likely to burn and i don't want all that hassle, so i am going for an LCD

starpoint said:
Maybe you've heard it all before but some of us are completely new to the argument - this will be my first non CRT purchase and I find it a confusing market - also I imagine as the technology improves the argument changes? One of the purposes of these forums is novices getting help from the more experienced but sorry if it bores you.
What tends to bore people is new members asking the same old questions without even bothering to search the forum to see if it's been answered before. Not a week goes by without someone posting a LCD vs Plasma, Plasma vs LCD vs CRT, DLP vs LCD etc, etc. Surely you can understand why some of us can sometimes seem unhelpful, but this really isn't the case, we would just prefer for you to help us by helping yourself a bit and do some groundwork first.

neilmcl said:
What tends to bore people is new members asking the same old questions without even bothering to search the forum to see if it's been answered before. Not a week goes by without someone posting a LCD vs Plasma, Plasma vs LCD vs CRT, DLP vs LCD etc, etc. Surely you can understand why some of us can sometimes seem unhelpful, but this really isn't the case, we would just prefer for you to help us by helping yourself a bit and do some groundwork first.
I understand your frustration but it's not for the want of trying - have you tried seeing what you get if you put "plasma v LCD" into search.

If you put the phrase "plasma v LCD" in double quotes in the search for this forum you get back at least 6 good posts covering this. It isn't that difficult :rolleyes:

I didnt know to do that - see how the experienced can help the novices

Starpoint,

Welcome aboard mate, from a fellow newbie...I know what you mean about the searches, the guys on here are very helpful and I am sure they do not mean to be patronising or nasty in anyway, I must agree though, if I was on here for ages and got asked the same questions..it would really hack me off :) but that said...... what have you decided??? I am in the same boat... think it may be lcd as looking at 37"

Mike

Must admit people it is a very confusing world the AV one. I helped my Dad when he was looking into his first non CRT set. After doing tonnes of searching looking at reviews weighing up pros and cons, and the time he was buying the Samsung 32le41BD was great in terms of connections quality and price. He went down the LCD road because of all the talk of screen burn and life span that went with Plasmas at the time, and the fact that he only wanted one to replace his current 32" set. Must admit it's a very good set indeed.

I've just been asked to look into a set for my Uncle and Auntie, as they've just come into a bit of a windfall. There requirements are totally different though. They need one to go into a large living space where it's going to be wall mounted, and a large set is required. I had thought this was going to be a bit of a no brainer search, and I was just going to tell them to get the Panasonic 42"PV500 which everyone raves about, and then I just made a fatal mistake. I walked into Currys. I don't know who it is that sets up there Tvs but I wish that they'd set them up the same. The LG section simply blew the rest of the sets away. 37" LCD for £1800 42" Plama for £2000 and I can't remember how much the larger plasma was but it wasn't a shocking amount. How is the general public supposed to make sound evidence based decisions on what is probably the 3rd or 4th largest expenditure for a household when the sets are not shown on a level playing field.

Rant over, I'm still in the LCD campfor the time being as I think the 37" sets would suit most people and the image quality of the latest sets are so good. If its size that counts then the price of the larger LCD screens can be a bit frightening. But like I've seen in many threads on this forum it's a matter of taste and requirements. Good luck

I actually asked this in Richer sounds today. The advice I was given was that LCD was the future and would pull away from Plasma over the next couple of years .

It can be very difficult when you are a, for want of a better phrase, "newbie"; similarly it is obviously frustrating to some members when the same questions are asked again and again. At the end of the day all you want is an opinion, so mine is LCD for 37" and under; and Plasma for 42" and over. Whatever you do, do not fall in to the trap of researching this issue for months and months and never actually buying a panel. We all want the best tv for the best price with the best PQ and the best styling; you can spend days and days on the forums weighing up the pros and cons of many sets and, yes, it can get very confusing. If you like the look of a particular panel then find a shop that stocks it at a price you can afford and demo it according to your needs - be that Sky, Freeview, DVD, PC connectivity or any combination of these. Many panels in shops look great when "Finding Nemo" or "Monsters Inc" is playing via an HDMI linked DVD player, but these same panels can look bobbins when showing Sky thro' RGB scart. Happy hunting :smashin:

starpoint said:
I didnt know to do that - see how the experienced can help the novices
Your welcome. I hope you got the information you're after. If you need any specific advice please ask away we don't mind helping each other when we can and apologies if I seemd unhelpful before :)

yorkyred said:
I actually asked this in Richer sounds today. The advice I was given was that LCD was the future and would pull away from Plasma over the next couple of years .

I suspect that will be the case when comparing sales.......after all LCD's are cheaper to manufacture and therefore cheaper to the consumer.

Also LCD models come in more customer friendly sizes...ie. 32 inch and less.

Whether the pull away from Plasma's in other areas before both technologies are replaced by newer technologies is open to question at the moment.

Sorry I was a bit blunt in my first post on this thread! The LCD/Plasma war rages on then? The question has really been answered already.

LCD's - 17in - 37in. Plasmas 37in +.

Nearly as simple as that. Plasma technology is getting a bit old now, but there are some spanking good TV's out there in these larger sizes that really do perform well. Drawbacks are screenburn, power consumption, reflective glass screen, poor resolution. Advantages are better blacks, good viewing angles and value for money.

LCD's. Well, they really are edging ahead now. Better (Full HD) resolutions, economical, non reflective screen, virtually unburnable screen, (debate), improving blacks and they are getting cheaper!

There's much more to it than this of course, but, really, all you need to decide is what size of TV you want and base your choice on that.

Jimmy

How do power consumptions compare? I looking for a motorhome!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom