1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or LCD ???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Fruitcake, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Fruitcake

Fruitcake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been wandering in and out of the High Street stores, and looking on the internet at Plasma and LCD TV's.

The problem is twofold, can't decide which type, and secondly I am thinking the price will probably drop nearer Xmas.Can't decide if I should wait until the technology gets better and so on and so forth.

The best I have seen to date is on Pricerunner.com for a 42" Samsung Plasma at about £1200. Problem is again Do I wait or Do I buy?

How many of you have bought one of these, and are satisfied with the quality of the picture? One thing I have noticed is that the quality of a TV broadcast varies considerably when viewing in the High street stores. More often than not they tend to promote the set using a cartoon, rather than say SKY or the BBC etc.

2. peacemf

peacemf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    area all plasma's HD ready? (anybody know?)....cos i was looking at that same tv :D

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Not all plasmas are HD ready.
    Older models that do not support the propper HD resolutions (1280X720 or 1920X1080) or have the propper inputs (HDMI or DVI-D with HDCP) are not propper HD TV's.

Most newer Plasma's, LCD's, DLP/LCD Rear projectors, and front projectors that support these resolutions and conections are ready for HD material and products.
    In a few months SED and OLED TV's will also start showing up. These new technologies will be HD ready from day one.

4. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever set you choose, make sure it sports a HD-Ready logo.

Even if you don't have an interest in HD at the mo, when spending so muhc on a set, why not future-proof yourself?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If you ask me that "HD Ready" logo is a bit over rated.
    According to that logo, 1280X720 is the same as 1920X1080. It doesnt tell you the difference between the 2 types of resolution and it doesnt tell you what conections the set you are buying has.

HDMI isnt quite the same as DVI-D. (for one, HDMI can carry sound. Up to 5.1 at the moment. DVI-D can not.)

You might be buying a TV that has the logo on it and it may only have DVI-D. What hapens when you take it home and it doesnt do what you thought it did?

My advice is that you study up on the specs of HD. Then make an educated decision.

And dont tell me that remembering a couple of 4 digit numbers and 2 types of conections is too difficult!

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The HD ready logo indicates a minumum standard that indicates that the machine will accept all HD formats that the European broadcasters will transmit. So if its HD ready, its going to accept all European HD formats and display it in HD.

For 99% of Joe Public, this is easy to understand and will assure them that the display will give them future access to all European HD content. This, IMHO, is all is required. When we live in a world when the majority of people choose compressed MP3 over RBCD or even DVD-A/SACD, I really don't think that they are interested in whether their display is 720p/1080i or had DVI or HDMI connectors. They just want to know that it will work and will give them a HD picture.

7. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the end of the day, if you get a product with the HD-Ready logo, it's a guarentee that your not going to be running back in a years time saying 'my set doesn't support 720p in 50Hz' or 'my set doesn't support HDCP through DVI.

It's not a definite, but IMO an invaluble guideline to.

8. vwhece

vwhece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice, keep your eye out as mentioned for the HD-ready logo and thats it's not just 'HDTV compatible'

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Fruitcake

Pricing - Downward pressure has already meant big price erosion on these TV's/Displays; not sure how much further it can go!

Your also just as likely to find it pretty difficult to get stock of the most popular models as we head towards the Christmas rush.

Plasma vs. LCD - there are supporters of both camps on the AVForums.

In terms of image quality I still prefer Plasma - the NEW Pioneer 06 XDE (PlasmaTV) and Panasonic 8 Series (Plasma Display) are likely to be the new benchmarks if your looking at 42"/50" screens.

Wandering into High Street stores can be a pretty fruitless task - very few if any of the bigger stores do anything very positive when it comes to displaying, setting-up and optimising the screens they have on display.

At best you can judge the cosmetics of the screen and maybe the user menus - after that its a lottery as far as what quality of image you see on-screen.

If your willing to pay a little more for a better level of service and have the chance to 'see' how these screens can perform try and find someone with a decent demo room and the time and skill to show you what your purchasing (haggle first so you both know what your willing to pay rather than simply use them as a demo room for Comet and the likes).

Best regards

Joe