1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or lcd?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by KEITHY B0Y, Aug 30, 2005.

1. KEITHY B0Y

KEITHY B0Y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello all, I am going to buy a hdtv soon, but people always say about the plasma tvs only lasting five minutes and the lcd tvs being all blurry on video games. is any of this true or am i believing hype?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    All true to a degree. On average LCDs have greater lag than CRTs and Plasmas, so they blur fast motion more. Plasmas suffer more from screen burn, and are inherently quite complicated devices that can fail. They also get dimmer with age (as do LCD backlights)

Neither are perfect.

3. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    but plasma is clearly better - see the mags

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    errrr, why? A screen that can be trashed in 100hrs with screen burn is obviously better :) Guess you own a plasma then ;)

There are pros and cons to both. For HD, they are fewer plasmas. All down to YOUR priorities. As Neal say neither is perfect.

5. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    no I dont...yet

But motion blur - unrealistic colors - poor perf on sports - come on be real

Screen Burn, how passe...I suppose you will tell him he needs it regassed..

Yes its down to pers pref...and my pref is for plasma, as is the pref of the majority of knowledgeable folk

For goodness sake, just accept it...

6. KEITHY B0Y

KEITHY B0Y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the replies, thing is im even more bemused now! how long do plasmas last for, five years perhaps? have had the same 33`toshiba tv for about 13 years and it is still going, will the plasma or lcd last like that?

7. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    have a read of what plasma and lcd tv - good unbiased mag which will answer most of your q's for £4 - and will avoid the biased lunacy that sometimes appears on these fora...new issue is very good

..but most importantly go to a local independent retailer and compare - most of them will be happy to help and advise...no point at all in looking in currys/comet/dixons - they all look terrible and the staff have the i.q. of post-op chimps...

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    just accept it? No, I don't. There are case for both, you have told me nothing to convince me one way or the other though I accept you prefer plasma. Your personal preference may be but you haven't convinced me with your argument.

I want HD (hence the forum), I want HDMI and I have a budget of £900, what do you recommend from plasmas?. This is pretty common pm I get every week, perhaps you can throw some light on a suitable plasma answer.

If I read the mags, which I do, the answer is FAR from clear cut in my book, probably explains why the last statistics I saw for the industry showed plasma at a 10:1 disadvantage re LCD.

For the record I am a big fan of thermionic emission as well but it doesn't necessarily make it better.

Re screen burn, chatting with a dealer the other day who needed some help, you wouldn't believe the number of plasmas that they have had returned becasue they were trashed in 100hrs :( Mind you I remember when you could crack a plasma with a black and white signal ;)

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Lets see, a lot of manufacturers quote 60,000 hours to half the initial brightness which equates to over 7 years assuming that you have the TV on 24 hours a day - even at 8 hours a day the plasma will still be going strong in 20 years time.

I've got a agree with Nic, the situation over which is best is far from clear. Have a look at both a decide which one you prefer. I've owned a plasma for almost 3 years now and I'm about to buy 2 new displays for my new house - what am I going to buy? Well, I'm going for a plasma and an LCD - plasma for the main display because I want a 50" screen and plasma is the only cost effective choice at that size. The other is to be a 32" and I'm going LCD there as, at that size, the one I'm looking at (the Hitach 32LD7200) gives one of the best pictures I've ever seen (all IMHO of course).

Kingsize - I'm prepared to agree that screen burn isn't the problem it once was but try telling that to some of the PV500 owners in the plasma forum...

John

10. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    and if you do go to Comet - try the one in Greenwich SE London - they actual have about half a dozen LCD/plasmas hooked up to a hi-def PC source - first time i've seen this in Comet. They also have about every flat screen you'll see mentioned in the mags in seried ranks......bless 'em!

Howard (yeah I was amazed too) :smashin:

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Have to say that in my experience - the better plasmas seem to produce more watchable pictures than the best LCDs. LCDs may be sharper, but their motion and gamma/colour balance still cause me problems.

If I were forced to buy a flat panel display at the moment - I'd be looking more at plasmas. (Pioneer or Panasonic appear to deliver the best pictures on "real world" material)

LCDs still don't look as good to me - others are absolutely free to disagree. Picture quality is a subjective field.

Plasma burn and reliability are issues though.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If I want 42 ich, HD and money no object I think I would look to Pioneer and Panasonic hd plasmas as well. However many people want smaller, lighter, cheaper, better spec at which point it becomes a whole new ball game. In fact if I look at plasma in general (and the majority buy on price here) then the cheaper plasmas start to look pretty iffy compared with LCDs. Comet told me today they sell many more at the cheaper end :( Ever seen a Tiny plasma or their equivalent price matched item? Not so hot hey but that is what you get for £1k in plasma :(

The HDMI, HD and £900 was picked as it is the largest selling sector. You can get a good 32 inch HD ready LCD with HDMI but NO plasmas.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The only thing i dont like about plasmas ( i own one so dont say it) is the fact that they burn if you try to play games on them.

I already burned out one plasma and had to have it replaced.

If all you are going to use it for is watching TV and Movies, then a plasma is a good choice.

The only other problem is resolution. So far no one has made a full spec HD plasma. (1920X1080) although Panasonic announced a 65" plasma that supports this resolution. But its expensive.

If you are planing to play games like on the PS3 and XBox 360, as well as watch TV and Movies and even conecting a PC for HD stuff, then an LCD might be a better choice.

Newer models have faster response times and are better all round as LCDs.
    Im gona wait untill the next batch of Sharp LCDs come out then im gonna get one for playing games and using my PC.

If it does suffer from bad response then ill buy a rear projector to watch movies. Rear projectors also have full HD specs and are much larger and cheaper than either Plasma and LCD.

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - low cost plasmas can look dreadful (the sub £1000 850x480 panels are often unwatchably bad), and plasmas aren't really an option below 37". LCDs are the only real option at smaller screen sizes I guess.

15. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    13 years ? You must have paid an arm and a leg for it ?!

16. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Is'nt there a newer type of TV around the corner ? Also I would say one of the £400 / £500 LCD projectors is a better and much cheaper option. I have a spare wall so I may go for one of these, so much for and aganist about LCD's and plasmas I can't see too much wrong witrh getting a projector for HD also ?

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Too right:)

Do the maths and the corrosponding value now would probably buy a state of the art 50" plasma.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The OLED and SED technologies look promising for a flat, light weight display with higher resolution and better colour/contrast than both LCD and Plasma.

Of course technology to succeed requires the will of the manufacturer and at the mo it seems LCD is the favoured child for the mass market.

19. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    There are a few new flat panel technologies - SED and OLED.

SED uses CRT style phosphor+electron beam emission to generate its image, but instead of a single scanning beam, each pixel is like a tiny individual CRT, with its own beam. In theory this gives you the geometry and size benefits of plasma/LCD, but the dynamic range, colour quality and speed of response as CRT. Expected to ship in small numbers in the 50" range next year and command a premium over plasmas in price terms. Prototypes have had a visible support line across them, to stop the displays collapsing in on itself.

OLED uses organic LEDs which can be printed using ink-jet style techniques I believe. They are in use on small displays on things like mobile phones and MP3 players but I don't think they are scaling to larger screen sizes well.

20. KEITHY B0Y

KEITHY B0Y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes the tv cost me £1500, which was a hell of alot of money then. but its been very good value for money if you work out the cost over the time ive had it. One thing i noticed when watching a lot of cable channels is the station logo in the corner, does this not cause burn in on plasmas?

21. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Most broadcasters move the logo around by a few pixels during the course of transmission - too small and infrequent to notice - which helps reduce burn-in issues. Of course, racking your contrast or brightness down will equally help.

22. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    On most channels the logo disappears during the advert breaks so even if you watch the same channel for hours, the logo won't be there all the time. Of course this doesn't apply to the BBC channels...

John

23. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    See, burn in is Plasmas biggest fault.
    If that wasnt a problem then plasma would have a bright future. But think about how people are using their panels these days.
    Not just for TV, but for movies, for gaming and for PC use too.

Having to constantly worry about whether the game you are playing is going to burn or not is a real pain in the ass and it puts me off wanting to play on my plasma. Same goes for using a PC on it, and even when im watching a TV channel. Im paranoid about the stations water mark.

Im sure im not the only one who feels this way. After all we spend a fortune on these plasmas, and then we cant even use them!!

What is the point?

24. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most of the games i play on the plasma, there are never a part of the display that's static for many hours. ever so often, there's cut scenes, change of scenery, or loading times, and the entire screen goes black or something similar for a few seconds.
    if i am playing the same game for 8 hours, and the same energy bar is displayed during this entire time, i'd temporary change to another av channel for a couple of seconds every 3 hours or something.
    Only concern i would have, is if i were to browse on the internet with it, as the desktop start bar would burn in at some point. but there's probably ways around this too i'm sure.

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As long as the controls on a plasma are set up sensibly, there is no reason to fear screen burn. There is a lot of hype about screen burn on plasmas, and those who criticise the most don't actually have any experience in plasma ownership, and don't fully understand the difference between image retention and screen burn.

I have experience with both types of TV, because I have a 42" Hitachi plasma in the lounge, and a 27" Toshiba LCD screen in the dining room. I've been using the Hitachi for about 11 months now, and haven't burned the screen yet, and I do use it with a PC for internet browsing from time to time. The LCD screen now has three insects dead inside it (the dreaded "storm bugs" that you get in East Anglia where wheat is growing), which will take a technician to remove. The picture on the plasma is undeniably better with less screen lag, better blacks and more truthful colours.

26. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could always get a DLP. No screen burn, no motion blurring, no fading over time, excellent blacks, vibrant colours and the best £/inch for HD sets :thumbsup:

27. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Ive been thinking about getting a DLP for Movie watching. But not sure if its a good thing to get for everything.

When watching a movie you only turn on the display for a few hours. Once you finish you turn it off. And most people only watch movies at the weekend which means the rest of the time it stays off.

But if you use it for TV, PC and gaming, you need something that can last a while. DLP bulbs simply dont last enough for such heavy use.

You know what its like, when you get home you automatically turn on the telly just to have noise in the back ground.

Im sure they are great and all, just not for daily constant use.

My dream house would have a huge DLP in the HT room that I use to watch movies, and a 45" or 50" plasma or LCD for gaming, PC and TV viewing.

28. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think they quote something like 30000 hours (or might even be higher than that now) for the bulb life on new DLP sets. Should be enough for most people

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Actually that's a lot cheaper than I expected.
    The 32" widecreen that was on my short list around 8/9 years ago was £2000.

Modern plasmas are far more resistant to screen burn than they used to be and some employ little tricks to lessen their impact such as shunting the picture around pixel by pixel and there are also options for screen saving/wiping.

With careful use screen burn is not a big issue however with kids or other people in the house not totally clued into the issue a plasma could be considered a disaster waiting to happen:)

30. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, Samsung quote 45,000 hours for a DLP bulb, as per this email I got back from Samsung UK customer services. That's 8 hours a day, for 15 years! DLP technology is a great alternative to Plasma and LCD.