Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Evianwater, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Evianwater

Evianwater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, Recently ive been looking into purchasing an lcd or plasma television for my living room. Ive managed to reduce it down to 2 choices, the Hitachi 28ld5200 and the Hitachi 32" 32pd5200. I have not yet seen either of them in real life so i am unable to make a comparitive judgment between the 2. I would like to know if you could please tell me the main difference between plasma and lcd in terms of picture quality (viewing distance within 3metres of the screen). I have spoken with some stores over the phone and the best i can get is that lcd is harder on your eyes and whilst they may look better on paper, quality wise they are not as good as plasma is this correct?
    Thanks in Advance, Ian

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Ian lets start at the top what do you want watch, how far away will you sit, where will plasma be and how will it be mounted, what do you own (DVD, Xbox etc etc etc) What is budget and why these 2 Hitachi models????

3. Evianwater

Evianwater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to watch free view TV, Dvd and X-box. I would sit around 2-3metres from the screen and yes it would be wall mounted at around 1.5metres from the ground. I would be looking to spend around £1500 max and wouldn’t want something smaller than 28”. The reason for my choosing these 2 Hitachi models is that they seem to offer the best value for money above other branded LCD and plasma TV’s. I would be very open to other recommendations and your help is most appreciated.
    Ian

4. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer Plasma to LCD but that is personal preference, I feel the repsonse time is faster with no smearing and I hate smearing. I chose a Hitachi 32PD5300 and am very happy with it. Check out the Panasonic PW6 as well. HornyDragon has post on the total cost and setup options.
    Can you go bigger than 32"?

5. juniorbeep

juniorbeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a new Toshiba 32" lcd and hated it so much i took it back a few days later and swapped it for a Hitachi 32pd5200 ....a million times better. The LCD was so flat on colour depth no matter what i did to the image still looked pretty horrible. I'm no Av expert but I can see what looks good or poor. I wanted to love the LCD but really couldn't. The Hitachi plasma is a lot better image no doubt. To be honest I wanted an LCD...got one found it terrible and woudn't buy another at least until the technology improves drastically..... Only my opinion but I hope it helps

6. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll echo that. I had originally really wanted to buy LCD and had dismissed plasma, loved the look of the Sharp and really wanted to buy it, BUT I couldn't settle with the picture quality. I was very impressive when fed a quality signal from a DVD. But I only watch DVDs 5% of the time. Each technology has it's own advantages and disadvantages but I couldn't tollerate the smearing, some people are fine with it and don't notice it. The smaller LCDs 15" seem to handle it fine but 26"+ and could notice it. I'm sure over time this will change in the next gen and when the processing power increases on the reponse time.

7. sparkz

sparkz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the smearing. Are we talking about LCDs with less than 12ms response times here still having the problem? Or is it the older ones?

I was looking at the Philips 42PF9986 as an alternative to plasma. It's had good reviews (eg. this months What Plasma) and on paper looks ok but I can't get to see one anywhere. Is smearing still an issue with these?