1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Evianwater, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Evianwater

Evianwater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, Recently ive been looking into purchasing an lcd or plasma television for my living room. Ive managed to reduce it down to 2 choices, the Hitachi 28ld5200 and the Hitachi 32" 32pd5200. I have not yet seen either of them in real life so i am unable to make a comparitive judgment between the 2. I would like to know if you could please tell me the main difference between plasma and lcd in terms of picture quality (viewing distance within 3metres of the screen). I have spoken with some stores over the phone and the best i can get is that lcd is harder on your eyes and whilst they may look better on paper, quality wise they are not as good as plasma is this correct?
    Thanks in Advance, Ian

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the main thing you’re going to be using the screen for? Sky, DVDs, HTPC, HDTV, etc?

Personally, I think LCD is much better than plasma. The only major advantages that I can see, is that plasma offer much larger screen sizes, and produce better blacks. Other than that, I’d recommend LCD.

Take a look at Plasma vs LCD for a list of advantages & disadvantages of both (they do seem to be more for LCD, but most of it is accurate).

Considering you're looking at a 28" - 32" screen, LCD would suit you best as there are few 32” plasmas. I don’t know how much you want to spend, but for around £1250, you can get a good 32” (Toshiba 32WL48, Sharp LC-32GA3E / 4E).

LCD panels are almost always a higher resolution than plasma, so if you give it a low quality video source, it will look much worse than if the same video was displayed on a lower resolution plasma or CRT. If however you give it a high quality source, such as HDTV, it will look awesome.

The best thing you can do is take a look at them both in a shop, and see which you like best. Some people prefer plasmas, and some prefer LCD’s.

3. Evianwater

Evianwater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding,
    I would be using the screen for DVD, free view and X-box it would be wall mounted around 1.5metres up and I would sit around 2-3metres from the screen. I would be looking to spend around a max of £1500. Do the Toshiba 32WL48, Sharp LC-32GA3E / 4E give as good a picture as the Hitachi would with a good quality video source?
    Thanks,
    Ian

4. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for the size you want, and the amount you have to spend, you should go with LCD. I've never actually used either the Toshiba or Sharp, but they've both had very good reviews. You should ask people on this forum who've got these screens about picture quality with different inputs, but with a good video source, I doubt you'd be dissapointed.